Saturday, November 25, 2006

The Wiz report for Friday

I’ve always dreamed of being on Broadway. However, in doing what I do, I am merely a participant in someone else’s dream. Without someone else’s dream, mine wouldn’t exist. Stage managers are the enablers. We are behind the scenes, making everything go smoothly and allowing everything to happen. If all goes well, everyone’s dreams are realized.

My association with this show began in the spring of 2004, just prior to the run at the Atlantic. I was recommended to our general manager. I met with him and then had phone interviews with Jay and Paul and Murphy. At the time, I thought that this show would be a fun one to run for the summer. Once we all started working together we became a family. I enjoyed that summer immensely and it will go down in history as one of the best I’ve had. As the run progressed there was some talk of Broadway. For the first time ever I had hopes of my dream coming true. We hit some bumps along the way, but on September 28 it happened. I opened my first Broadway show. Not just a Broadway show but a dream show - a show that I love, with people that I love and many, many laughs along the way. I’ve done a lot of shows, but I have never felt such a strong connection to the show or to the people involved with it before. This was a truly unique experience for me. I have loved every second of it. Soon my dream will come to a close. I am very sad to see it go and will miss every aspect of it. I will look back on it with great fondness and will laugh when I think of all the stories. And there are lots of stories. I will think of Spaulding rolling off the deck (he was A-OK both shows today!), I will think of Name That Monkey Song (the afternoon song was the theme song from the tv show “Love That Bob” – I won!), I will think of Nethernore going hunting, but mostly I will think of the time I spent with Jay and what a great friendship we have.

Thank you all for your lovely comments and for your support. They’ve been very uplifting these past few days.

I have found my next show. I am still looking for my next dream.

Until the next one,
Wiz

2 comments:

Linda said...

Wiz - thank you for allowing us to be a part of your dream as well. We will miss you.

With much love,
TOO

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your blogs. We enjoy them immensely and will the miss the show dearly. As posted in the earlier post, hubby and I planned on trying to see the show again this week or next. So sorry we couldn't see it again before it closed. :( Such a wonderful show and we are so sad to see it go. Thank you and Jay, though, for a wonderful night on broadway I will never forget! Jay even talked to me after show and made me laugh more. I wish you both all the luck in the world. And hope broadway realizes what it missed out on! I am grieving with you.
-Missy and Nate