Wednesday, July 09, 2008

The show was really good tonight.  I have sort of figured out this British audience and the show is actually getting better. There was a reviewer there who seemed to like the show a lot.  
Her review will come out on Monday.  Sunday we will be the "Critics Pick"in the Herald and we are pick of the week in Time Out.  I think people are just now figuring out we are here, but we are not.  Sort of an interesting study in absurdities. 

I 'm not sure what will be coming into the Arts Theater "of Death" to replace us. It could be they will lease it out as a meat packing plant. A slaughter house would be much too obvious a match.  It will not be my favorite theatre as I recall my stay. It is too much of a club to be a theatre and too much a theater to be a good club.  I over looked a lot of things I didn't like about it trying to make the best of the situation at first. None of that matters now.  

I will remember the people that work at the Arts Theatre. They have been great.  Sean, one of the techs, watched the show for the first time tonight. You know you are closing too quickly when one of the guys working the show has just seen it.  I will especially miss my crew, Julia, Ruthie and Nathan. We were a good team and it was always a pleasure to come to work.  When I mentioned to Julia tonight that she was being very nice to me, she said, "It's my job, Jaay" a throw back to Bob's recurring line in the show.  Julia is as witty as she is capable.  It's just a joy to be around these three. I unfortunately cannot pack them in a case and take them with me.  
As much as their shine and joy, I will miss their delicious British accents. They always sounded like they were singing when they talked. 

No one quite understands why we have to leave, least of all me. It is all about the money. Art and money will never really have a comfortable relationship.  I will miss London and hope that in some small way they miss me.  The producers of the Italian show came to see mine tonight.  I said hi to them afterwards.  I guess only they can really understand the emotions that were flowing through me.  Maybe we bonded in a way that would never have happened had we both stayed for our seasons. As it turned out the boy friend of one of the Italian producers is a friend of my Son.  Michael has been to my house many times while he and Brandon were in High School. Michael was there tonight. Small world.
As you were,
Jay

3 comments:

Linda said...

My thoughts are with you!

Roomie said...

R...
Arrived in the US from Switzerland on Monday w/o any pc communication since 6/30. Freeman was checking your sites on the internet and came across the "news." I cannot understand it..I wish that Sandi and the boys were still there with you. Remember how CRM, Jr. taught us to be "gentlemen" when dealing with any adversity in our profession, i.e. the producers, etc. Hold your head up high and know that the loss is theirs. Perhaps we can talk before too long. Mandy and I send our love and best wishes to you.
Carry on as only you can!
R(TAOTB) & M (TAOP)

Anonymous said...

Wham - Bam-Thank you mam! I'm so sorry to hear that your Producers don't know any more about their business than to not give a show a chance! Not exactly a money making formula! I'll be sure not to expect to see their names in any lights.
I'm thrilled that you had such a wonderful Opening Night experience and that your family was their with you!
We will welcome you back to the good ol' USA with open arms!
Our love and thoughts are with you,
Alice