Thursday, July 03, 2008

Photo of the day: My family seeing Paul and Murphy off at Victoria Station.

Murphy and Paul left today and Sandi leaves tomorrow. The boys will be with me for a couple more days before they go to Berlin. The set for the Italian show gets removed tomorrow afternoon. There will finally be room backstage to breath. Things are changing all around me just when I was settling into something that resembles normality.

It is impossible not to feel a let down after an opening night like last night. In a fairy tale world we would do the show for that audience, and the story would end with, “they lived happily ever after.” But theatre is a living creature that needs to be feed nightly, and tonight was another audience. They couldn’t be bothered with what happened last night. Tonight is the only show they care about. They were good, but not as good as last night, any group would pale by comparison. Rarity creates the value. If every oyster had a pearl inside the pearl would be worth no more than the shell. That’s the trick, do the show every night, for all comers. There is no resting on yesterdays. Who knows, perhaps it is the very next show when another little Oliver will be looking at me on the stage saying, “Please sir I want more.”

I am very tired and have to get up much too early to see Sandi off in the morning I feel like my muse is packed in a suitcase ready to leave with her. But tomorrow is another show and Oliver is too young to even know what a muse is much less that I might be missing mine on the day he comes to see the magic.

As you were,
Jay

No comments: