Thursday, April 16, 2009

Who are those Guys?
I just got this picture from my producer and friend Dan Whitten. He snapped it the last time he was at Sardis. That is my official Sardis Broadway Star caricature on the wall right next to Bee Bee Neuwirth.

I remember the day of the unveiling ceremony. Sardis is next door to the Helen Hayes so it was pretty easy for me to pop over for the event just before work. Liz Smith, show biz writer, conducted the official ceremony. She made comments about our mutual Texas heritage. It was a funny introduction. She is a very charming lady.

Then all the cameras got ready for the unveiling. No one had seen the picture which was covered with a cloth until the final moment. As the cloth was taken off I remember a sound coming from the crowd that started as an excited cheer and floundered into a distinct "huh?". Along with everyone else, I was not sure who it was pictured with Bob. I thought they caught a very good likeness of him, but confused me with Pat Sayjak or Robert Wagner. From this caricature I think I have a good idea of what I would look like if I had a massive face lift, Hollywood style.

It is still a great honor to be displayed on the wall of a legendary Broadway haunt. It is one of the few "double" caricatures on the wall. Paul Winchell and Jerry Mahoney being the one of the others. New York has always been really nice to me. I miss it.

Thanks Dan.
As you were,
Jay

2 comments:

Linda said...

John Tesh perhaps?

Scott said...

I've always thought it was John Davidson.