Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Solution to Twitter
Since I am sure that Twitter is lowering the IQ and killing conversation as we know it; I have an idea for a better site. The attention span of humanity is getting so short that 140 characters may be more than some can process. But at least let's make everyone work at the 140 characters and not fill in with ;) xoxo :( a bunch of crap.

So here is my solution. A site like Twitter in every way. However, instead of the limit of 140 characters, you have to write your Tweet as a haiku. Like:

"Today I did go.
My Blackberry I did take
This message I wrote"

The site will be called "HI, Ku You".

At least we will know that someone spent more than stream of consciousness time to create it. Perhaps they have to think. Quality would go up and crap messages would go down.
As you were,
Jay

4 comments:

Philip G. said...

Good idea, Jay.
Twitter is not attractive.
I must have more words.

Roomie said...

Mandy thinks this is a great idea....as do I....
Carry on,
TB&P

Dave Robison said...

http://search.twitter.com/search?q=%23haiku

Actually Twitter's search function features # hash tags. you can search any buzz or chatter on search, if the Tweeter is tagging it with a #.

A few weeks ago, the idea of Twitter haiku was experimented with by more than a few Twitter users.

I'm not sure if you have to be a Twitter user to use the search function but, #haiku renders pages of people trying their hand at haiku via Twitter.

Sorry, I don't want to sound like a Twiter commercial.

Dave

Harrison M. said...

I figured someone had already done the haiku thing on Twitter. I'd love to see it automated, though. There's a coding problem raised there, though. There's no way to determine syllables through any means other than a predefined dictionary. Even that method's fallible, though; few, if any computer-based dictionaries I have seen have ever contained every word I use. There's two other ways to implement it, though.

a) Use text-to-speech technology. Good, but still fallible. It's been in development for years and still isn't anywhere close to perfection. That one's pretty much right out.

b) Human moderation. Perfect, but slow. Starts becoming difficult as more users sign up.

Anyone watching this have thoughts?