Saturday, September 04, 2010


More Pictures
If you look at the smaller picture of 4th street, you will see a gray spot on the mountain above the buildings in Skagway, Alaska. Below is a close up enlargement of that spot.
They are very big on painting the rocks for advertising in Skagway as evidence from the ship logos I photographed for a previous blog.
This one has been around for a very long time.  It is a land mark for Skagway. Now it advertises a novelty shop and Moes Bar.  I am told that the original advertisement goes back a century to the Gold Rush days.  The clock was there to advertise a jewelry store. The odd time on the clock was then the International jewelers clock time.  It is the position they set the hands of a watch when it is displayed.  The hands don't obscure the makers name nor the top of the face.  Years later the International jewelers clock time was changed to 10:10.  It shows off the watch in the same way but it is a smiley face instead of the frown of 8:20.
Some one once said that if they were ever on "Who wants to be a Millionaire" they would have me for their life line.  I was complimented until I thought of it for a while.  To hold that position you have to know a little about a lot of BS.  I guess I am that guy.
As you were,
Jay

No comments: