Monday, July 18, 2011

Back from VENT Haven

I think I got it this time. I think I got what the Vent Haven Museum is all about this trip. It is the posterity of the art form. The complete repository of information and in most cases the instruments of ventriloquism. It really is more important than just a rare collection of puppets and pictures. I more clearly understand the separation and distinction between the convention and the museum trust. It was a perfect celebration of the 70 years of Jimmy Nelson. To the first Dean of American Ventriloquist jimmy Nelson, congratulations. I will still think of you as the Godfather of Ventriloquism my friend.
It took me three connections to fly back on Saturday to the Burbank Airport. This was, of course, done because of Carmegaddon occurring on this very week end. It turned out to be a non-event and caused less trouble than normal work on any freeway can create. They finished 15 hours a head of schedule and had the freeway opened back up by mid Sunday. I could have taken a direct flight to LAX and not had a problem in hindsight.
I was drawing on my iPad for most of the time spent on my three airplanes. On one of my flight segments there was a really nice flight Attendant. She made a couple of comments on the stuff I was drawing. I was flattered, and she was bubbly and funny. I guess the attention made me work that much harder at my art.
I will admit to becoming totally focused on my drawing. It was almost hypnotic, or more likely AADS. But at one moment I became aware that the funny Attendant was looking over my shoulder and may have even said something. I looked up at her and she said, "That is really wonderful. I love that picture.... What a shame it is electronic". That didn't seem to connect in my mind. Earlier I mentioned to her that these drawings printed out very nicely and emailed perfectly. There was no slight in it being electronic as far as I could comprehend. I wanted to understand, so I said,
"What do you mean, it's a shame it's electronic."
She moved into the aisle an looked me squarely in the face, as if I needed to read her lips. I thought she spoke to me in a little slower and more precise than necessary tone. She made i sound so important that it woke me from my drawing trance.
"It's electronic," she said, "you have to turn it off... we're landing!"
As you were,
Jay

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great meeting you at ConVENTion, thanks for posing
with me for a picture before the Jimmy Nelson
tribute! We July birthday boys are the best!!


Tom Farrell