Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Stage Crash
It always takes me a while to readjust after being away from home for work. There is a natural readjustment of not doing a show every night, but free falling back into the routine of life at home is also an orbit change.

Sandi and I have an unspoken rule called, "First day back". That means I get a pass for the first day back. I am forgiven the transgressions of treating our bedroom like a hotel for 24 hours. Perhaps I should lobby for an extra day. I am missing the Cape Playhouse more than I thought I would.

While I was away a friend asked Sandi how I was doing at the Cape. She said, "he is performing and the theatre is haunted... he is having a ball. " What can I say, after decades of dealing with me... the lady knows.

I like to get to a theatre two hours ahead of my show. That is usually when the crew is called in and the theatre begins to reset for the show. I slowly get the "guys" ready, set my props on stage and then start to paint on the makeup and adjust my microphone. The makeup and microphone process goes much faster than it used to. Especially setting the microphone.

I remember the first time David Gotwald (our wonderful Broadway sound designer) hid a tiny microphone in my hair at the WestSide theatre. The wire has to be threaded around the back of my head with wig clips, taped to the back of my neck and run under the back of my shirt to a the double transmitter attached to an elastic belt. It was uncomfortable and pulled my hair out every time I moved my head. I never thought I would get used to wearing it on stage. I developed a bald spot on the top of my neck at the Atlantic Theatre where the clips grabed my hair.

After the hair grew back I decided to find a better way. I started putting on the microphone myself and have been doing it ever since. Only I know if it is comfortable so I'm the only one that can really do it. I forget that it is there anymore.

It used to take me fifteen minutes but I have it down to five or so now. Most actors don't do it at all. They let the sound department and hair and makeup do it. It has become second nature to me and Steve (the sound man a the Cape Playhouse) complimented me on my skills. Theatre is the mother of so many skills.

All that to say that about five o'clock today I will start to prepare for a show that I won't do. There will be no half your call, no places and I won't get to hear that music that starts the show. It will take me a little time to realize that it is not happening tonight.

I would do this show every night for the rest of my life if I could. I love to tell the story, I love to work with the guys on a real stage. I'm hooked... have been since I was 11 years old.

As you were,
Jay

4 comments:

Roomie said...

Mandy and I wish that you would really do your show EVERY NIGHT as we would just move to wherever it is and stay.....as for the microphone in the first reference, I had that problem for a few years and look what happened to my hair....they tried so many places that it just ALL fell out, and there was no looking back, just down on the floor where all the hair had fallen....nice to have you back home so we can converse on a more regular basis.....or as Mandy says, tease, banter, trade barbs with Mac, etc, etc, etc...
Love from and Carry on,
B&P

Bob Conrad said...

I know the feeling. I spent the summer doing library shows, at least one each day all through July and August. Then September came along and I am going nuts. I have a school show Friday, just in time.

Tom Farrell said...

Jay,

I saw your performance at the Vent Haven convention
this year. I hope some day that your whole show is
put on DVD for those who live in cities that you don't
play to enjoy. You certainly deserved your Tony.
You put vent and theater together. You were fantastic !

Blog de Elvi Ventrilocuo said...

I know what it is...! last year in December I did in Valencia (spain) in Christmas in the Circus Mundial (I´m Clown too) our show 79 times...! After in January we came back......it was difficult returning to the daily routine...! it was sad and sometimes perhaps a little depressive...but th life show must go on...
Elvi ventriloquist