Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Opening Night Cape Playhouse
They tell me that the Cape Playhouse has not changed in the 83 years it has been open except for air conditioning and seat cushions. All that energy from all those performances and celebrities has been preserved in some psychic way. It is impossible not to love this theatre. The picture is me standing in front of the Theatre doing my impression of the spread Eagle logo.

There is nothing fancy about this theatre. It retains that colonial all American craftsman feel. But it is perhaps the greatest theatre an artist could perform in. All wood from the walls to the church pew seats. Some one long ago decided to not to paint the wood inside but leave it stained. It is like playing Disney Hall, the wood is alive and the sound has a patina that can't be really described.

It is a beautiful 100 yard walk from the house to the theatre across a shaded field. On the way to half hour for opening night, I found some wild blue hydrangeas and picked them for the dressing room. The staff refers to the Lawrence ghost as Gertie. I'm not sure I have been there long enough to be that familiar. But there is no doubt that she still runs the show.

The audience was electrified from the opening announcements. They were smart and very demonstrative. I think every line that is supposed to get a laugh, got one. At the end they literally leap to their feet. I have rarely seen such a spontaneous reaction from a crowd. Since each show for the season plays two weeks everyone has "their" day to attend. I have heard people say, "My day is the second Tuesday" Or "I come the first Friday". So the "opening nighters" are mostly the same people.

The regulars told me that it is not a normal occurrence for the first Monday, opening night, audience to award standing ovations. In fact they rarely see it happen. Rare or not it is still one of the great feelings for any performer. On this night and in this theatre it was especially exciting.

The sun finally came out yesterday after two days of drizzling and pounding rain. Cape Cod is really green and beautiful. This may indeed be show biz heaven. I am loving every minute of it. I hope time can slow down just a little so this whole experience will last longer. I am taking movies as well and hope to post a compilation in a few days. More later.

As you were,
Jay

5 comments:

Roomie said...

Mandy and I send our love to you, Sandi and all the boys, as well as the crew and staff for what will be a tremendous run of TTAO.....we are hanging on every blog, as usual......
Carry on,
B&P

Connie Kaplan said...

A well-deserved ovation, I'm sure. It makes me smile (again) to know you're having such a great time. Heartfelt congratulations. We'll work on your spread eagle impression when you get back home!

Cheryl said...

Thank you for the wonderful reports, Jay! Your writings bring your experiences to vivid life. I enjoy reading your blog every day. Congratulations on another successful run for The Two and Only. Best wishes!

Steve Brogan said...

1elmer2frances
How can you not get a "Standing O". TTAO is you, from the heart. You deserve it.

Enjoy every minute of it... An inch of time is an inch of gold but you can't buy that inch of time with an inch of gold.

My best.

Steve

Blog de Elvi Ventrilocuo said...

Felicidades...!This is a great news....!