Monday, September 14, 2009

Closing the Theatre
My show was the last of the season for the Cape Playhouse. They not only struck my set at the end of the show, they took every light and every curtain down and winterized the building. One forgets what a magical place a theatre is. When the sets, curtains and lights are gone it could be just a normal drafty old building. There is no hint that this is such an artistic shrine. With all the sets and drapes gone from the Cape Playhouse stage you can see the posters that plaster the walls from deck to fly space. The sheer number is impressive enough, but when you read the names of the people who have acted at this playhouse it really is humbling. Humbling or uplifting to know that you somehow shared the stage with some of the greatest actors in the business. I am glad that my show is now a part of that history.

The last show was as much fun as the rest. It was a very enthusiastic audience and I milked it for the crew. I did some stuff they hadn't heard before and teased Evans Haile the artistic director un-mercifully. I have this belief on a closing night at a theatre that I really love: If you keep going and never leave the stage you never have to close.

The two weeks of the Cape Playhouse run flew by and even now I can't believe that I am back home. However, the trip to get here seems like it took much more than two weeks. I wouldn't say it was the travel day from hell, I have had worse, but it was enough to make me remember why I hate flying. And, although I used to travel United a lot, they are off my favorite list. I just find the employees less than friendly. The last few times that I have had to "find a deal" to fly it has been on United. They are just above the rude line, and provide only enough service to keep from becoming a "coin operated" vending machine airline.

The drive from the Cape to Boston, Logan airport is about 2 hours. The drive put me two hours early for my flight. Turned out it was delayed by a medical emergency and was two hours late getting to Boston. Turns out that I spent 6 hours waiting for my 6 hour flight.

Normally I fly first class/business for anything over a couple of hours. But this is "the theatre" we are talking about and actors are supposed to sacrifice for the love of the stage so the budget is definitely coach. Since most of the actors for the Cape are New Yorkers, an LA destination is a lot more challenging.

I found out on this trip that the habits I have developed over the years to keep my sanity when flying are near impossible in coach. (I am not talking about the bloody mary's that flow in the front cabin) I am talking about the sheer space. I like to draw on a plane. I remember during one plane ride a guy tapped me on the shoulder and said... "You are the guy who draws... I remember flying with you once before... I recognized your tablet."

Pen and ink on paper can sometimes keep me going for hours. I always try to have a pad with lots of blank paper and several pens in hopes that the muse will be with me on a long trip. Well, this time the muse was there, the pens were ready, the paper was available, but between the person next to me severely encroaching on my arm rest space, and the lady in front of me leaning her seat back, I felt like I was trying to do yoga in a phone booth. I did have an aisle seat but every time I found a little room for my drawing posture, the cart would come by and knock my elbow out of joint. It became a very, very, very long flight and even longer day to get back home. I wish the run would have seemed that long.

My drawing muse was really active in impossible conditions because on Saturday, I went to Edward Gorey's house. I did not realize that I had been staying about 20 minutes from his house in Yarmouth Port. They have turned his house into a museum of his work. I am such a fan and follower of his work it was an amazing place. That will be the subject of a future blog.

For now I am glad to be home, sad not to have a show to do tonight. Really depressed that I don't get to visit the ghosts of the Playhouse for a long time. That feeling of longing to be back there at the theatre... well, it is the drug that makes us fly coach for 6 hours with no room to draw.
As you were,
Jay


3 comments:

Connie Kaplan said...

I recommend knitting on the plane. Takes less elbow room, results in something equally artistic, AND a man knitting would certainly be a memorable imprint on the minds of people around you. You could knit a puppet. . .lots of good monkey patterns out there.

Welcome home. Let's get together before we leave for Texas in two weeks.

Blog de Elvi Ventrilocuo said...

Fly to the moon..! But not on a todays aeroplane I´m agree with you ..there isn´t enough place to sit on a plane.Perhaps you could rehearse in the plane a new show about hypnothisme or thinking what Frankestein Dr. would think if he would have to take a flight in coach sits....(Sorry my english is not good)
Congratulations for your love with the Theatres..I know what is it...!
From Spain...
Elvi Ventriloquist

Roomie said...

You know that MOST of us fly coach because business and first are cost prohibitive.......just a note from the little people in your life...
Mandy and I are glad you and Sandi, and all are home now after such a wonderful experience with all the greats in that Playhouse....we have a story about Evans Haile and couldn't believe that you mentioned him and pic as well....Ed Gorey.....one of my absolute favorites....why did I never know he was yours as well...we can tell you are home, because you are making wise cracks about my FB photos.....guess that's okay.....
Carry on,
B&P