Friday, September 11, 2009

Sept. 11

I guess 9/11 emotions trump most any others. As the years go by I always feel blessed when this anniversary comes around again.

I've written in the blog about it before but I was booked on American Flight 11 that morning in 2001. Due to a last minute change of my show schedule I wasn't traveling when the flight hit the tower.

Back at the Theatre.....

I am happy to report from the Playhouse that I have made peace with the ghost of the Bishop of Broadway. So far there have been no more noises under the stage unless I make them. However, one very odd discovery was made by Steve the sound guy.

Around the same area as the noise under the stage the staff kept hearing an electronic beeping noise coming from the audience. It sounded like a cell phone or smoke detector when it is getting low on batteries. It was baffling everyone. At one point they even accused me of making the noise ventriloqually as a practical joke.

Steve crawled around under the bench seats and eventually discovered a small Brookstone electronic device purposefully secured there. No one is sure what the device does other than beep every 45 seconds. Steve was going to look it up in the Brookstone catalog to see if he could figure it out. Very odd, it does not appear to have been left there by accident, but purposefully placed there.

The "matinee of the living dead" turned out to be one of the best audiences we have had so far. I walked off stage and told Ginger the PSM. "We kicked that audience's ass" she said "Yes, you killed the audience of the living dead". Evans told me later that St Peter called and was pissed that he did not receive his usual quota at the Pearly Gates for the afternoon.

Time is growing short for me here. I will miss the kids at the theatre, the ghosts, the fabulous audiences, the beautiful grounds and all this history. What a great run this has been.
As you were,
Jay
www.monkeyjoke.com

1 comment:

Roomie said...

Mandy and I do not remember the fact that you were booked on that flight in 2001....did we know you then? We certainly are glad that you didn't take the flight, but of course yesterday's anniversary marked the loss of so many who will remain in our memories forever. And hopefully you will remain in our life for some time to come.....You are about to wrap up a full run of what sounds like has been a WONDERFUL time with TTAO in the NE.....return home safe and sound and love to you, Sandi and all the boys from
B&P
Carry on.......