Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Welcome to 2007. I will never forget working one New Years Eve when the boys were small, I left in the afternoon for the Comedy and Magic Club in Hermosa Beach. I said, “See you next year, boys,” and gave them a kiss. Taylor was too small to get the reference and thought I was leaving for a year. We joke about it almost every New Year’s eve.

Taylor also reminded me of another New Years Eve memory. He was 8 years old and the only one in the house awake when I got home from a New Years Eve performance. I was wired from a tough evening. I fixed hot chocolate; we huddled under a blanket on the couch and watched a video tape of Pinoccio until the sun came up.

I really never liked performing on New Years Eve but the money became very tempting every September when I would start getting calls. For a while I decided that I would take every other year off. One year working, one year for myself. The last three years I just haven’t been that tempted.

Where ever you were, and what ever you did, I hope it was a memory that will be with you for a long time.
As you were,
Jay

2 comments:

Linda said...

Aaaaaawe! What a wonderful story to remember.

Anonymous said...

Jay, I dont know if this is the forum for this or not but to this day, and my friends will vouch for me, in my mind the funniest thing I have ever seen on TV was the mind reading act from Soap. I laugh out loud just thinking about it. Comcast has it on Demand and I have played for friends and family. "It's round, It's glass.... It's an ashtray..." By far the funniest scene on Television ever. I am in NY on business and saw the promo for your show in the hotel. I hope I get to see it here or maybe if you come to Detroit. Thanks for the laughs. Dave Noble