Friday, September 25, 2009

To Blog or Not to Blog
A friend was at the house yesterday. In the course of conversation, anytime I said something I thought was funny or upsetting he would say, "Do not put that on your blog." It happened enough times I eventually asked if he thought there was a content problem with my blog. He said "You should not be allowed to blog about a show you're in sooner than a week after the event".

I'm pretty sure he was kidding. But it is after all MY blog. It is free and no one is under any obligation to read it. I don't have any sponsors, no advertising, no agenda, I'm just writing what is on my mind. In fact, in the heading you will find a disclaimer as to the condition of that mind. It says: Journalized rants and ramblings from a fragmented ventriloqual mind.
I mostly try to be funny. The funny rule is, If you can't think of something funny, think of something that irritates you and it will probably turn into something funny.

I know when I read back over something days later there are times I step out of bounds and the comedy/ pissed off line gets blurred. The rants about the "evil twins of the London production" could have been soft pedaled. One of those rants ended up being published in Playbill which was certainly not the intended medium. That caused me to scale back a lot and in some ways I'm not sure that was a good thing.

Perhaps there were some harsh words when I commented on the Dunham vs Dummy lawsuit. I took down that post after a heated phone conversation with Dunham. He didn't change the way I feel and, if asked, I will reassert my opinion that the entire lawsuit is an egotistical waste of effort. That being said, I probably could have been more eloquent at the time.

I pinned my friend down to the phrase in the particular blog that seemed to be most recently upsetting.

This is it:
Normally I fly first class/business for anything over a couple of hours. But this is "the theatre" we are talking about and actors are supposed to sacrifice for the love of the stage so the budget is definitely coach.

There was no intent in this paragraph to be insulting nor degrading to "the theater" nor any person running a theatre.... Dr. H. It was intended to point out that having become spoiled to the excess of Corporate Entertaining, my traveling habits have adjusted accordingly. The fact is, the budget for a theatre isn't the same budget as it is for the annual meeting for Mircrosoft. And actors do sacrifice, gladly in most cases, to lessor demands if they love doing theatre. No one loves doing theatre more than me and if anyone assumed I was bitching about theatre, or anyone who runs one, in that blog - well, they are wrong. I was blogging about trying to sketch a pen and ink drawing in the coach sized seat of an airplane. Something irritating that I hoped would become funny. You be the judge.

So there you have it. If you are reading my blog and getting upset... I don't know what to say. You are free to leave a comment.. I read them all.

As you were,
Jay

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't read your blog...and never comment.

Boris said...

I comment but never read it...

Anonymous said...

You read comments? I heard that you don't read reviews... If I put a review as a comment would you read it?

monty wooley said...

Never read reviews? Then I've got some French Show
"comments" you should look at !

Bob Conrad said...

Jay;
You keep telling it like it is, and I will keep reading it. And most of the time you hit the funny mark while making a point. Don't change anything!

Anonymous said...

Microsoft has a budget?

Debbie said...

Jay, I really enjoy reading your posts - I don't think that what you say, even the bitchy stuff, is offensive, because you're not just throwing insults (well, except maybe that one time when you were mad about the London production and had a rant about our pub names and food!).

Your posts are intelligent and well written - they make me smile, or laugh, or stop and think - and that's something I look forward to every day.

Mike said...

Your Blog is like your personal diary, but in this diary, you allow people to see what is on your mind. Be yourself and write what ever the hell you want to write! I personally enjoy you blog and your point of view on many things! You show us a point of view about yourself that we would normally not know or see! I also look forward to your daily post!
Keep up the great work Jay!!!

Best Regards,

Mike Palma

JAY JOHNSON said...

Thanks for all these comments. I will keep trying to publish. All I know is a writer writes but I sure don't want to offend the undeserving.

Debbie... sorry for the Pub run... although I did think it was funny at the time.

And Monty... I think the French show is the reason I no longer read reviews.

Debbie said...

Yeah admittedly... it was pretty funny :)