Wednesday, September 02, 2009

No Pictures Please
I have my flip movie camera with me and I am taking pictures. The video will really show how charming and perfectly ripe the Cape Playhouse is for haunting. I will post it when I shoot some more and have a chance to edit it.

In the mean time I wanted to take a still picture of the Gertrude Lawrence signature that fluttered from the rafters. This is as clear and as close as I could get. When I tried to take a close up of the actual signature the camera wouldn't focus. I must have tried 10 times with ever setting my camera has but it would not come out clear enough to read. Sandi finally said, "It is obvious that she doesn't want you to take that picture." Fair enough, this is the closest clearest one. You can make out the outline of the corner of the paper and read the story, but the signature is difficult.

Sinkler, my informational guru on most things especially theatrical, told me that Miss Lawrence was married to the Richard Aldrich who served as artistic director of the Cape Playhouse for several years, so she has more reason to possesses it than most. I was informed by my friend and director Jay Sandrich that Gertrude Lawrence was known to be a party girl and for Sandi to watch out. Would that be the definition of a "ghastly affair?"

Betty Davis built a cottage on the Playhouse grounds for her Mother years ago. It still stands and is used as offices and support for the theatre. This whole arts campus is teaming with history. And the best part is that tonight I get to do another show at the Playhouse. Never did a word fit a building more than Playhouse fits this structure.

As you were,
Jay

No comments: