Thursday, September 19, 2013

And the Emmy goes to....

This weekend is the national telecast of the Emmy awards.  Like every other actor in town I have my acceptance speech ready and rehearsed.  No matter if I did nothing this year to warrant a nomination, the fact is one must always have your acceptance speech prepared.   I have to admit that I used my best acceptance speech for my Tony win. However with a little creativity you can recycle acceptance speeches.   For example.....












"And the 2013 Emmy for best supporting actor who was not cast this year....(envelope) goes to... Jay Johnson."                              "Thank you very much.... As I said when I won the Tony...( repeat original winners speech.)"  This accomplishes two things...it allows for repetition of your A material and it also reminds the masses that you won another prestigious award. 

At a restaurant last week I ran into Neil Patrick Harris and wished him the best on his hosting duties this week end.  I am a huge fan of his abilities to host these massively introspective awards shows. His performance as host of the Tony Awards this year deserves a Tony. His skill sets are perfect for this job, he knows what he can do and he doesn't take himself seriously. Having hosted many shows myself where the pressure to succeed was not so critical, I know how hard the job is. Neil is that rare breed of performer who was evidently just born to host an awards show.
Here is to you my friend... I will be watching and rooting for you .. And... you know if you need an accomplished "acceptance speech giver",  I will have my tuxedo on and you can skype me during the telecast. Just know that I have your back NPH.
As you were,
Jay 

2 comments:

P. Grecian said...

I won an Emmy. I didn't go to the ceremony, though. I sent Marlon Brando to accept it for me.

Pete Biro said...

Was the restaurant the Magic Castle? He's the current Prez.