Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Vent Documentaries
I guess when it rains it pours. Now there seem to be two documentaries about ventriloquism in the public consciousness. That sounds like the punch line to a joke. Probably not since De LaChapell's paper in the 1700's on "Engastrometh" has there been this much interest in ventriloquism.

"Dumbstruck" (a vent. doc.) seems to have gotten some interest at the Palm Springs Film Festival. I haven't seen it but know the vents they showcase, and from the reviews and remarks it seems to treat ventriloquism with the respect it is due. Dedicating one's life to a dream, no matter what the dream, is an interesting narrative, one I think I would like to see. I am looking forward to seeing it when it is available for public viewing.

"I'm No Dummy" is now available for sale at Amazon.com. I think they are offering a discount before the official release date. There has not been a huge announcement about it. My advice to all who would be interested in this documentary, buy it now quickly.

It is it still the subject of an on-going frivolous lawsuit and although I think once the dummy dust has settled it will prevail, there is no guarantee. Now days the legal system is not about right and wrong, justice or injustice, it is about who has the deepest pocket to keep funding delays and filings. Right now the person attempting to block it has a very deep pocket.

Either way it is a win to own. It is a good documentary on ventriloquism to have in your collection and if the bullies prevail in blocking the release, then it will surely become a collectors item. I know guys who are buying several copies in speculation of the final legal ruling. My brain runs toward the artistic and not commercial so I was never very good at that kind of memorabilia speculation.

Anyway. I hope that the current interest in ventriloquism opens up some more venues for us all to perform. The current interest should not be a wind fall for the few, but a payday for all.

As you were,
Jay

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I assumed, Jay, when I saw the announcement about "I'm No Dummy" coming out in April, that it would be blocked and people would be refunded their money.

However, if you think it will actually be released (albeit briefly), I'll sign up. I REALLY want to see that documentary.

-Philip

Tedtoons said...

Ugh. Shame about the lawsuit. Wish they didn't feel like they had to hitch their wagon to Dunham's popularity so much. (but I understand why.)

Jay, I noticed that Amazon has a link on your name that leads to some exercise guru of the same name.

Roomie said...

R,
Mandy says to tell you that we have pre-ordered our copy and didn't see anything OFF the price, but no matter, we wouldn't miss it....love you...and hope that everyone associated with it is a winner....we have watched the trailers and it is a WINNER!!!!!
Carry on,
D&M