Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The House at the Beach
It was actually a sunny day in August when I took this picture at Corporation Beach in Dennis, Mass. I had been to the Edward Gorey house the day before and I guess I was in a Gorey mood. The house looked sort of spooky to me that day. When I returned home I used some Photo Shop filters to make it look more like it did in my imagining.

I guess I was thinking about Cape Cod and the Cape Playhouse today because I am decompressing from the York. There was a strong connection between the two runs. Steve Bearse who ran my sound at the Playhouse came in to New York to run my sound at the York Theatre. Bailey, one of the girls lighting girls at the Playhouse, came from Boston to see the show; and Chris, the lighting tech for the Cape Playhouse, happened to be in New York on business and he came by. It was a reunion of Cape Playhouse people. We missed Evans Haile, the Artistic Director, who normally would be in New York City, but was intervening to save a theatre in Florida from the wreckers during that week end.

The wonderful thing about the Two and Only is the people it attracts. Not just the audience, which is very special, but the crew and designers as well. There is an alumni of wonderful artists who have participated in the show and become a part of its theatrical fabric. With every remount there is more patina to the subtext contributed by wonderfully talented people.

I am glad to be an artist with a job that lets me hang around other artists. It is a blessing that the capitalist who only sees dollar signs in a project will never know. Here is a shout out to all the artists who have become part of The Two and Only"... Thank you very much.
As you were,
Jay

1 comment:

Scott said...

I can't speak for anyone else, but this show was incredibly special for me. I am so glad I have been a part of it.