Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Lucky Coin

Just a side note. Typing by thumb and blackberry at the airport.

I left in a fog this morning and forgot to put change in my pocket. I knew after the first cup of coffee I bought I would have change but my "magic" coin would not with me this trip.

I always carry a foreign coin in my pocket. The only requirement is that it be a different size or shape than any American coin so I can easily find it in a pocket full of coins.

This started years ago in college as a coin to do magic tricks and practice rolling across my knuckles. I have nervous energy and it helps. Well it has become a tradition, sort of a good luck symbol for a long time.

I have had several, they eventually get lost, I say they move on and I replace it with another. I have never done a show in the last 30 years that a "magic coin" was not in my pocket on stage. The Wiz (my production stage manager) still checks to see if I have the coin in my pocket before I go on stage for "The two and only".

Sandi drove me to the airport this morning and I mentioned my lucky coin wasn't with me. Not being as superstitious as me she pretty much said I would get over it and be fine.

She is right, and I decide this will be the time I no longer need to carry a magic coin on stage with me.

I get to Starbucks at the airport and there is a large foreign coin sitting alone on top of the cash register that catches my eye. I ask, and the cashier who doesn't know anything about it; doesn't know what it is or how it got there. I get my change and say "You want to sell me that coin for a dollar?" She jumped at the chance. I have a new magic coin. Very odd after my conversation to the airport. It is a Hong Kong 5 dollar piece. I like it.

Just as I am ready to move past the need for a magic coin, another one finds me. I see it as a very positive sign. You may see it as an over active imagination. We are both right.

As you were,
Jay

www.monkeyjoke.com

4 comments:

Roomie said...

R,
I am like you in that I NEVER went on stage from the time I started singing until the last gig, even after the pro gigs ended and they were univ or regional....it's something that we do and I don't think it is so much superstitious as much as it is just something that gives us a feeling of security.....just sayin.
Carry on and have a great cruise, you rascal....
B&P

Anonymous said...

i love that- magical like you. watch out for pirates.xxel

Anonymous said...

"Pin. Eyes. Coin. Zipper." In that order - every time! Have a good trip and enjoy! Wiz

Kristi Tucker said...

Just wanted you to know, Jay, how much I enjoy your writings. I often forward them to a couple of my buddies around the country and all agree that you are brilliant and so cool! When you go on a rant about something or other, I swear, it is always something I've been boiling about myself and to read that you think so too makes me feel smart!
Hope you are floating and having fun on the sea* xox, Kristi