Friday, August 21, 2009

Rehearsing?
Recently I was asked how often I rehearse my show/act/routines. I had to vamp a little cause I don't really have a daily time set aside to rehearse like I used to. I remember my youth was spent with countless hours in front of a large mirror specially placed on a blank wall in my room for just that purpose. I would direct a light on my face and rehearse by the hour. The bright light showed every slight motion both good and bad in glaring detail. Most of the time I would record that session on the tape recorder and play it back, also by the hour. Now with the access of video, I assume the light and mirror would be replaced with better technology. Although there is nothing easier than turning on a light and sitting down in front of a mirror. No rewinding, setting tripods and turning on the camera. It is still a pure and flawless way to practice.

I realized that my rehearsal time and style has changed since I was a kid. My schedule is pretty full so I get to rehearse my actual technique in front of audiences. I don't suggest that idea in lieu of mirror/video time, but I have hours racked up in that department and working in front of and audience it is enough for me now. The actual words for The Two and Only are a different thing. That show is an hour and forty minutes of dialogue alone (well sort of) on stage. That is something I do need to keep up with.

So in prep for the up and coming run at the Cape Playhouse what am I doing? I spend most of the down time, on a plane or in a hotel or in a waiting room going over the show in my head. I start at the beginning and run the show word for word. Probably looks to the casual viewer like I am just in a fog, but there is a performance going on in my head. I really am experiencing it as I imagine every step and every word. Other than holding for audience reaction, it feels the same to me, almost like a muscle memory of past performances.

It is a technique that has served me well. There are times when the actual performances of that show are months apart, but it still holds up and like riding a bicycle. It comes back easily because I am probably not more than a week from running the entire show in my imagination. When it is "on its feet", I can then connect with the audience from the very second I step into it again. I guess that is the peculiarity of being a ventriloquist or a solo performer, I can rehearse almost anywhere, anytime.

So, if you happen to see me sitting at the airport and I am sort of unfocused don't stare or dial 911, just clap... I am in the middle of a performance.

As you were,
Jay

1 comment:

Bob Conrad said...

Jay;

I have sopent many a sleepless night going over a show while I was supose to be sleeping.