Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Memorabilia
In my Tony Award© winning show...I never get tired of saying that. Besides it really is an obligation. It is a title bestowed on the show by the American Theatre Wing. It's like the show was knighted and now has to have a Sir in front of its name. Besides, I am really proud of that accomplishment and it's fun to say. Okay, enough justification of my own insecurities.

In my Tony Award© winning show I mention an ad in Daily Variety that changed my life. It was the open call for ventriloquists when they were casting Chuck and Bob for SOAP. This very ad is quoted in the dialogue of my show toward the middle. When writing that scene, I wanted to make sure I was remembering and quoting it correctly. There was no doubt that I had kept the ad but couldn't remember where it was filed. Well, it suddenly appeared yesterday.

I am gathering memorabilia to send to Vent Haven Museum in the next week. A few puppets, box of video tapes, old pictures and tons of newspaper clippings. The museum plans to catalogue the items and archive them. In one of my files labeled "dressing room bulletin board" I found the Variety ad. The dressing room referred to in the label is obviously my old SOAP dressing room.

I scanned a picture of the ad along with a ticket to a taping of SOAP and published it above. On the back of the ad, in my own hand writing, is the name and number of Linda Otto the casting director. I am not sure if I will be sending this ad along with the rest of the clippings headed for the Museum or not. Now that I have found it I want to hang on to it for awhile. Besides I'm not sure anyone but me would ever appreciate the significance of a two column inch ad.

The satisfying thing is, even though I did not have it for reference when writing The Two and Only, I did quote it correctly in the show. I guess in reality it was never misplaced since it was in my head the entire time.
As you were,
Jay

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jay:

I think seeing that ad is really cool. Although I remember your mentioning it in "TaO", I don't remember if you talked about what happened at the audition, the call backs, etc. This is one fan of yours who'd be interested in reading about those experiences.

Thanks!

Bob Baker

Roomie said...

R,
"Sir Jay," your head is full of amazing things and wonderful memories. Copy both sides of both of those marvelous pieces of memorabilia that you love, frame them and put them on the wall for all to see and tell that story every time friends come to visit...and don't let "Honey Bun" made any wise cracks!!
Carry on,
TB&P

Roomie said...

"Tony Award Winning One Man Show."
Tony Award.....that does have an infectious ring to it, a phrase that should be shouted from your house several times a day. I frequently shout, "One of the world's finest tenors (of the 70's and 80's)" off the back deck....and all is get is "Cawing" from the crows and Pup running and hiding in her basket....
Carry on because "that is all that I have to say about that!"
TB&P