Monday, February 09, 2009

And.... Action
I mention Jay Sandrich, the director of SOAP, in "The Two and Only". We had and still have a great friendship. The "Two and Only" is a show about ventriloquism, but also about mentors and, although I don't actually identify Mr. Sandrich is a mentor, he fits all the qualifications. My co-creator/producer/actor/friend Paul Kreppel would definitely agree and uses the term mentor clearly in reference to our friend Jay Sandrich.

I offer the following into evidence:

Often Chuck and Bob would have a single line in the entire weekly script of SOAP. Granted it was usually a great line and got a laugh, but I wouldn't say I was ever heavy in a weekly episode. I remember one time in the Campbell living room, I had no lines at all. I distinctly remember the script said, "Chuck and Bob are sitting on the couch." That was it.

So on the first day of rehearsals for that scene Jay Sandrich asked me, "What are you going to be doing on the couch when the scene opens?" You see acting is not just the words you say, but what you are doing while you say them... that is why it is called "acting" not just "talking". I would ultimately learn that lesson watching Jay Sandrich direct.

Danny, played by Ted Wass, was also in the scene. I think he had a line or two later but the scene opened with us just hanging out. Here is where the creative mind of a great director takes over. Jay said, "What if you and Danny are playing a game? How about checkers?" The prop man got us a checker board and we set it up so Danny and Chuck could be involved playing the game at the top of the scene. The first run through we just sort of mimed a game without much thought, after all the scene was about Burt and Mary and really didn't involve us.

Second run through Jay gave us some more business and kept adding to it each time we did it. Here is what we finally ended up with.

At the top of the scene Chuck moves a checker. Danny thinks for a moment and starts to make his move. As he does, Bob, watching the game from Chucks lap, shakes his head and says, "Nah." Danny takes the move back and starts to make another. He looks at Bob and Bob says, "Nope." Danny takes the move back . As he starts for another checker Bob says, "Definitely not." Danny retreats and thinks about it for a long time. Danny finally makes his move and Bob says, "Oh Yeah". Immediately Chuck jumps four of Danny's checkers and wins the game.

It got a huge laugh from the audience, and as it turned out it was my only laugh in the show that week. It wasn't written, it wasn't part of the plot it was just the way a great director adds life to a scene. For me, it was the difference of being an active character in the scene or just a piece of furniture. There were countless other times when Chuck and Bob got a laugh not because of the snappy line or clever delivery, but because of the business Jay Sandrich gave us to do.

I don't know how you thank someone for having such an affect on your career and your life. How do you truly give back to a mentor? One way I guess is to let others know who it was that helped you and what they did. Society quickly points the finger at those who have a negative impact, let's start celebrating the people who light the torch and at least say thank you.

Thank you Mr. Sandrich.

As you were,
"The other" Jay

2 comments:

Tyler said...

I really enjoy that scene. It is one of my favorites (along with the bar scene and the mind reading bit). But I must say that one of the greatest scenes in TV history is when Bob gets put in the fridge.

"You know…that little light stays on." HA!

Linda said...

Yes.... I wish more folks concentrated on the positive than the negative.

I say we start a celebration for the folks that had and still have a positive impact on our lives!

Huzzah!