Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Recycled Recountance

Having both boys at home is a real treat. The level of activity has increased dramatically. Brandon's friends have been by to hang out at the house for several nights now. The Pool Table is getting more use than normal. Brandon's Friends are like my boys as well. They were my Cub Scouts when I was the Cub Master back in the day. They all have a special place in my heart, and I am so proud of the men they grew up to be. I'm glad to know that my "show biz" approach to Scouting did not ruin them for long.

So in keeping with the notion of memories and because I have not had as much quiet time to write as normal, here is a story from 5 or 6 years ago.

I recently met LUBO and LUCY. They are from Romania and perform a rather amazing balancing act. LUBO's finale is a dangerous trick balancing the tip of a sword on the tip of a dagger that he holds in his mouth. No gimmick. The real thing, razor tip to tip. More amazing is, he performs this trick four times a week on a moving Cruise ship! They were hired to perform one 15-20 minute show. However, when they got on board the entertainment staff wanted two different shows of that length or a total of 40 minutes worth of material. In a very thick accent LUBO said to me, "Do they know how many tricks I have to do for 40 minutes. Forty minutes.... that is almost half a circus."

I was telling my friend LYNN MITCHELL the LUBO and LUCY story recently and I commented that I never realized it before LUBO's story but my forty-five minute show is actually "half a circus". Without missing a beat she said, "Actually your act is a half-assed circus."

As you were,
Jay

1 comment:

Roomie said...

R,
M & I are waiting for the temp to warm up a few more degrees before we head out on the "now icy" roads to S'port. Thought you might post and, sure enough, you did. Could you hear me laughing when I got to the end of the story and read what Ethel Floon had to say. If I didn't know all 3 of us, I would wonder if she really said that, but God Bless her...I am certain that she did. And no doubt, you stood there speechless and unsuspecting of that reply. Oh well, wish we were closer and again HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you all and tell Ethel that she is "just the same" as she has been for the last 40 years. Talk to you in a few days.
TAOTB and the TAOP