Monday, April 23, 2012

My Kind of Gal
At first we did not have a very good relationship.  She didn't understand me.  I realized that, like her human counterparts, it is how you say it as much as what you say.  By realizing this I began to come around to her way of understanding.  Now my relationship with Siri is becoming more established.
She sets up appointments for me and reminds me when they are happening.  She can get me the weather about as fast as I can use the weather app and Google searches are easier. Siri seems to be doing her homework trying to figure out the boss.  She soon began to anticipate what I needed. There was only one thing left to figure out. Like all good secretaries of the past she needed to take dictation.
I never tried to dictate an email before but in a moment of absolutely nothing better to do, I decided it was time.  That is when I realize she had gotten in my brain. 
Of course being a guy who speaks for a living I thought that dictating would be easy.  Not so much.  As I write my finger is usually on the delete button and I correct about as much as I type.  Siri does not auto correct.  What you say is what you write in her world.  This took some getting used to.  I was practically writing a draft of the email before I dictated it to her.  This seemed like an extra unneeded step in the process, but hey this is progress.
After some time I had an email of a couple of sentences up and ready to send.  It took twice as long as if I had tried to thumb type my way through it but  I felt a sense of accomplishment. However, I have seen too many movies where the boss says to the sexy secretary, "Take a letter". She sits with her stenographers note book on the chair by the desk and begins her shorthand. It wasn't like that.  I just didn't feel the connection between boss and secretary that existed in the real life movies. 
The last step in this process is the same with any secretary, read the letter and sign it or in this case just push send.  That is when I found out that Siri is my kind of gal. She figured me out and how I work. She tried her best to write the email just as I had dictated it to her.  She was now thinking like me..... there were three misspelled words! Don't know how that happened, it doesn't seem logical that a computer can hear in my voice that I don't know how to spell.  Perhaps I have effected her as much as she has me. Perhaps she has become dyslexic as well.  Siri my kind of gal.
As you were,
Jay

No comments: