Friday, April 15, 2011

Compliment?
I have been unwinding at night drawing on my iPad.  They keep improving on the art apps and making them more and more sophisticated.  I doubt that my drawing talents will ever keep up with the technology and what is capable with a 1 and 0.  Just about the time I feel comfortable in one format they change it to a better one, and the leaning curve becomes steeper. I have started combining apps to make a picture. I use one for a certain look and open that file in another app to add touches the other one doesn't have.
Over the last week I drew a couple of companion pictures.  One is Dr. Frankenstein and the other his monster. As to why my thoughts ran to Gothic horror.... well it is Income tax season after all. 
I tapped my memory for the essence of Colin Clive from the original film as the model of my Victor Frankenstein.  But, I didn't want to go the traditional James Whale version of the square headed Boris Karloff as a model for my monster, so I just let my mind go.  I was actually proud of the images and printed them out to see if they held up. 
Sandi, my master critic looked at them and had three words..... Good, Creepy and Disturbing.
Now given the subject matter I do not know if that is a compliment or a criticism.  Good is fine and for me and I am okay with any visceral reaction to my art, creepy and disturbing works. 
However, in light of the fact that I have decided to throw some of my art on line for actual purchase in the form of prints and tee shirts,  I may be attracting an audience that is just as warped as me. I find that good, creepy and disturbing.  
I will report back if anything sells and if the purchaser lives near you... you can call the cops.
As you were,
Jay
Fiji Mermaid  and in case you do not know the history of PT Barnum's Fiji Mermaid

No comments: