Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Life Lessons
My youngest son contends I never taught him to shave. I believe it is an excuse to grow the beard he now proudly displays. However, I don't remember conducting an actual lesson on shaving for either of the boys.  I'm not sure I was ever specifically taught to shave by my Dad, either, but leaned from watching him. Funny what you remember teaching, learning or not from your parents.

So, the other day at a dinner party my son was graciously and elegantly pouring a glass of wine for a guest.  He filled her glass with the proper amount and turned the bottle at just the right moment to prevent a drip.  He displayed the skills of a Sommelier so I said,  "Well, I may not have taught you to shave, but I obviously taught you how to pour wine."  He furrowed his brow at me and said,   "Everything I know about wine was taught to me by a professional clown on a cruise ship."  Although the statement itself made me laugh, I realized it was the truth.

Years ago the kids accompanied Sandi and me on a cruise to Alaska.  On the same ship were several other entertainers and friends who were performing for the cruise.  On one of the formal evenings we all had dinner together.  When the wine arrived the juggler/clown/mime and friend Mickey O'Connor took the lead.  He began a running comment on the wine, how to taste it, how to look at it, how to pour it, all for the benefit of my boys.  They never forgot that evening and the wine lesson, and even years later they can use the knowledge at just the right moment.

I guess they have not had a normal life, but in the long run I think it has been a charmed life.  I am blessed with friends. Perhaps that is the greatest gift you can have.
As you were,
Jay


No comments: