Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Digital Artwork

I'm a Mac Head. I was drawn, literally and figuratively, to the first Macintosh Computer primarily because of a program called MacPaint. It was a simple black and white program that let you draw on the screen using the mouse as a virtual ink pen. You could print out a sketch about a third the size of a standard 8x10 page. The pixels were so large it looked like something that was made with Legos. But, drawing on the computer was a new and exciting experience and I have never stopped.

MacPaint gave way to more complicated art programs, full color, full page and eventually PhotoShop and drawing on a computer is still one of the things I like to do best. I recently filled several gigabytes on a hard drive with just artwork over the years.

Last November I found a blank pre-stretched canvas in the closet. It seemed to be calling out to me. I dug out my supplies and decided to actually paint. Well, one canvas led to ten more and suddenly I found myself in a sea of acrylic paint and brushes. I started painting on cardboard and even plywood when I couldn't get more canvas. Since I was a little kid I have turned to my artwork when I get depressed. All I can say is that the fall of last year offered may reasons to turn to my artwork.

The techniques of painting on a computer screen and painting a canvas easily compliment each other and I get the same charge out of doing either. However, there is one advantage to digital artwork, storage. I am running out of studio space. I overlooked how easy it is to store paintings on a flash drive rather than stack canvases in the corner. Above is a snap shot of a few paintings I have been working on the last month and a half.

I remember visiting an artist's house years ago in Vancouver, BC. It was piled ceiling to floor with canvases stacked three and four deep. Literally four layers of canvases covered every inch of wall space in a four bedroom house. She said, "I have a hundred thousand dollars worth of paintings in my house... if anyone would pay me for them." I realized it was true even at the price of a dollar a canvas.

The good new is I am performing The Two and Only at the Colony Theatre next December for a couple of weeks. Attached to the theatre is an art gallery and I have already contracted to show my art there at the same time the show runs. The last time we did this it was unusually successful. I am just concerned that if this depressing muse decides to stay I will be drowning in canvas by next December.

As you were,
Jay



5 comments:

Tyler said...

Wow Jay...I love your art!

Anonymous said...

Great art!
So you're remounting the show. Any chance you'll have it recorded on DVD, so we can buy it out here in the hinterlands?

Linda said...

I have plenty of storage space on my walls....

Anonymous said...

Your art is fantastic -- you must let us all know more details about the Colony Theater!

Roomie said...

P and TB can hardly wait for the show and the art exhibit.....
Carry on...