Friday, March 26, 2010

More Observations
Yesterday as I was wondering around the Wallgreens my attention was suddenly high-jacked by an exchange taking place at the pharmacy.  A middle aged, type A personality, male dressed in a nice sport coat and no tie was very upset with the lady behind the counter.

It was certainly none of my business ... so I casually browsed the laxative section as I walked closer to hear what they were saying.  I am one of those people who avoids conflict like it was poison, if it involves me, but when it's got nothing to do with me I'm attracted like a moth to the flame. 

Although I couldn't ask questions to verify the facts here is the jest of what I gathered.  Mr. A Personality is over heated because his prescription was not ready.  He mentioned several times that this was his third visit and there was still a problem with his pills.  The lady in the white coat is not making eye contact with him. Her eyes are glued to the computer screen in front of her.  As she speaks she types furiously, pauses, squints a disgusted face and types some more.  It went something like this:

Lady - "Yes, Yes, I see that you were due for a refill last Tuesday."

Man - "That was three days ago. I called it in and came by... you told me it would be ready that afternoon. It wasn't.  I came back.....

Lady- "Yes, I have the refill request right here....

Man- "Then why can't you give me my prescription?"

Lady - "The doctor needs to verify the higher dosage and he has not called yet....

Man - "I talked to him yesterday... he said his nurse... Beverly called it in on Tuesday."

Lady - "I just don't have a record of anyone calling and I guess he is out of the office today because he is not answering his phone."

Man - "Well of course he is out of the office it's March madness he is watching basketball at the country club.. Don't you have NCAA where you come from.... I need my prescription and I don't want to have to come back for it. I would like to be calmly watching basketball right now myself."

Lady - "Are you out of meds now?"

He is getting a little louder now... I don't have to listen quite so intently.  I stroll into the acid reflux section.

Man - "I have been out of my meds..SINCE TUESDAY... you people don't seem to get it....."

Lady - "And what is it that you take this medication for...."

The veins pop on the guys neck and he yells at her lunging at the counter

Man - "STRESS AND ANXIETY!"

As you were,
Jay

3 comments:

Philip Grecian said...

Oh, that's wonderful.

Roomie said...

R....
I NEVER remember you being one to avoid conflict....you fought for and stood up for me ALL THE TIME back in the day....oh, and btw...that man...the Mr. Type A, the one out of his "stress and anxiety" meds...was me....you just never saw my face....love you....
Carry on,
D&M

Roomie said...

Oh, and Mandy's and my jury is "still out" on whether or not we like the new blog format....old people usually don't like change, you know....
Carry on,
D&M