Thursday, March 25, 2010

Drug Store Analysis
The construction at the corner of Woodley and Ventura is finally complete.  What was once a single story doctor’s office complex is now a four story multipurpose building that covers an entire block.  The top two floors are upscale residence condos with street level retail stores.   I was happy when a branch of John O’Groats, a nice west side bar and restaurant, opened up.  They even have an out door section where you can dine under a gigantic oak tree filled with blue lights in the evening.  Very Californian, set off from Ventura Blvd. to make it seem like you are a long way from Encino.

However, when a Walgreen’s drugstore put up a sign with intent to occupy the corner space, I wasn’t as thrilled.  There is a full service Ralph’s Supermarket with a drug store a block away and a Gelson’s supermarket across the street.  A new Walgreen’s didn’t seem that necessary.  However, this morning I was looking for a specific part for my electric razor so I dropped by the new Walgreen’s.

The minute I walked into the place my attitude changed noticeably.  I became aware of a feeling of excitement.  It was a thrill just being in the new store, so I decided to analyze what had brought on this new outlook.  Here is my conclusion:

The entire idea of walking through a modern drug store excites my latent AAD/ADD narcissistic tendencies.  I suspect it is a calculated marketing ploy to appeal to that level in all humans.  On the AAD/ADD level there are thousands of items lined up on dozens of shelves. The distractions seem to go on for miles. You can go from cold remedies to acid reflux treatments to shaving products without even becoming aware you have been distracted.  As long as you keep walking there is something new to occupy your attention with every step.  “Let your femurs do the watching.” (That play on the yellow pages is probably as dated as my Polaroid references.)

The drugstore retail display also works well for the narcissist in us all. Everywhere you turn there are wares to make you feel good, play better, satisfy indulgences, think younger and most important of all look better.  These products will give you the same hair, skin, eyes, color, youth and beauty as the white toothed, well groomed, hard-bodied 20 something models on the package.  Better than a room full of mirrors it is a room full of beautiful pictures of what you can become for the price of purchase.  Implied by the picture on a box of men’s hair dye I can have a beautiful blond model hanging on my arm with one treatment. 

As I looked around I began to think that if I hit the lottery tomorrow I would be a fool not to take the entire winnings in product at Walgreen’s. 

Only when I got home did the feeling began to wane.  It was then I noticed  I had purchased a great new shampoo to make my puppy’s coat shine like he was the best in show.  We don’t have a dog.
As you were,
Jay

2 comments:

Roomie said...

R,
1. We would love to come and have a drink or dine with you at John O Grout's or whatever his name is....and 2.the Walgreens thing is all aboout the "bait and switch" game...you know that...they want you to buy things for people and pets that you don't have....so they got you, now go ahead and try the shampoo on your own self and let us know what happens.....if it's really as good as they say, you may send M and me a bottle for our next occasion.....now where is the invitation to John's?
Carry on,
D&R2
Oh, and don't expect an answer to the emil today...not after all this...

Bob Conrad said...

Bummer. Now you have to get a dog!