Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Wednesday and ....
That is as far as I got writing my blog this morning as my fingers stumbled on the keyboard and published the entry. I did not know that I could publish and entry with a key stroke. I doubt that I could recreate that sequence of events again.

The Colony run is over and I really miss it. There is a phenomenon that I can never get used to, but it occurs every time I do the show in town. Only days after I close there are some who say, "I missed your show. The next time you are in town, let me know. I would love to come." Since it has been 3 years since my show was in town, I tried my best to let everyone know it was here. It was booked a year in advance. At times I thought I was being a little too pushy, and some people got multiple notices just because I didn't want to miss anyone who might want to come. I sent emails and FaceBooked initiations. Well, we closed on Sunday and those same people, people I know I sent invitations to are now saying to me, " I missed your show. The next time you are in town, let me know. I would love to come." Bull shit. I don't believe it. People who want to come, will come. To the rest... this is the official notice that you are on your own.

I am trying to get excited about the run at the York Theatre in New York. For some reason it just doesn't seem real to me yet. I can't find that excitement that New York has always held. I'm sure it will come it just hasn't found it's time yet. We have to get through the holidays and all.

I do mean "get through" the holidays. For me that is sometimes an effort. I am married to the most wonderful woman in the world and have been for a long time. She is the original Christmas Elf and sets her joy clock each year with the Christmas Holidays. Now you might think that this joy and happiness of the season would rub off on me, but I am the original Grinch. I have to look for ways to turn my depression of the season into a positive. And, for some reason my psychosis is such that it is not important just to be depressed, it is necessary for me to make sure everyone to knows that I am depressed. That makes my attitude take a very toxic turn for the next few weeks. After years of being around me, this Anti-Christmas feeling is nothing new to my family. Each year I think "this is the year I will be able to keep it to myself," and each year I can never find the lid shut it off.

So... I am trying to recall good memories of the times, and there are many. It is a matter of what you dwell on.

I remember the time my youngest son said, "Is Santa Claus real, Dad?" Of course I tried to tell him that the Santa was the spirit of Christmas, the symbol of selfless giving and the icon of the season. He was having none of it. After listening to my esoteric explanation he said, "Is there a really a man with a white beard and a red suit that comes down the Chimney?" He wanted as simple answer which in that case was "No." He was satisfied. Not disappointed except in my first answer.

I may not post every day, like I have been doing for awhile. My new rule is: If you can't find something funny or humorous to say then shut up.
As you were,
Jay

4 comments:

Kayla Darcy-Goldrick said...

Jay,

You may not be a "Christmas Elf" like your wife but you definitely helped save my 10 year old son's Christmas. He lost his mentor, (Steve Meltzer) on Nov. 30 and has been devastated - Steve was teaching and sharing the love of puppetry with him and was also a dear friend.
We had tickets to see your show on Sunday night and then changed our tickets to Sunday matinee because my son was going to be speaking at Steve's memorial that was set for that evening. When you spoke in your show of losing your mentor and showing the connection you maintained with your mentor through his figure that he left you and the memories, it really touched a chord with my son. You see, Steve left his main figure to my son.
We have been lucky enough to meet you and ironically, Steve was the one who introduced us. My son has immense respect for you and your craft and feeling that you understood his loss and could still feel connected to your mentor really picked him up.

I completely understand your feelings on the holidays but hopefully you can get a little lift from knowing that your words helped a ten year old who really needed it.

Roomie said...

R,
We know that you can ALWAYS find something funny or humorous to say....just think about all the times we spent together when I was much younger (see, there's one) and just write about them...or Honey Bun, or the boys or most importantly...Sandi....we look forward to reading the blog and M wants to make sure you got her pic....we love you all and
Carry on as only you can do,
B&P

Linda said...

I understand the holiday grumbles... the only way I get though it is cookie therapy - I bake, bake and bake some more. Then give it away, otherwise I'm flying on a sugar high through New Year.

Even if I'm in a bad mood, I'm hoping my baked goods spread a little sunshine... and someone else's waistline instead of mine.

Tom Crowl said...

Santa isn't real?