Thursday, May 21, 2009

Variety Television?
There was a television show on this week called "Glee".  I figure it is competition to the "High School Musical" demographic.  It has been scheduled very strangely. They aired the pilot on Tuesday night and will start to air the show a month from now.  It has gotten wonderful reviews already and it really is a kick back to the musical films of the 50's.  I hope it becomes a big hit because it will further signal that musical variety is back on television. 

Variety television is back but it has come in the guise of sport not art.  Every time we see dancing, singing or variety acts on television it is on a competition show. American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, America's Got Talent, are variety shows; however, with the voting element they become barely one step above the Major Bowles Amateur Hour.  There is no doubt these shows draw a very big audience. I think there is a way to produce a variety show on television that does not rely on "competition" which would be just as successful.

Presentation of the variety arts and acts should be just that, a presentation, not an Olympic event to be given a score.  Why do we have to pick a winner, crown a champion?  Do we really have to judge,  can't we just enjoy?  Performance artists need to have a venue where they can just express their talents.  That would be art. 

As  you were,
Jay




3 comments:

Bob Conrad said...

Jay;
I have felt this way for years, entertainment shouldn't be a competition, it should be entertainment! When I am asked if I am ever on Televison, I answer "on what? There are no Variety shows left." Maybe, the new Jay Leno show moving to 10 Pm will help. The last real variety show was probably Ed Sullivan.

Roomie said...

Mandy wants to know if you and I were on "Major Bowles" show back in the day and I just couldn't comment...
Carry on,
B&P

Ramón said...

Jay:
I´m agreed with you. In my country, Spain, there a show similra to "Got´s talents", I think they do this kind of shows because they are cheaper than the conventional variety shows, and yes our society is more and more competitive..I don´t like it.
Greetings