Friday, May 29, 2009

Life off the Stage

A friend once told me, "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you ever find time to do it again?"

Words to live by.

As I am writing this a crew of 10 guys are spelunking the attic and banging in the closet outside my office door. We are replacing the antique air conditioning and heating system in our house. It is not the original system but was here when we bought the house. I am guessing it is over 30 year old. It has been on its last leg for years and we have been keeping it going with semi-annual visits from the Air Medic.

I was reminded of my friends old chestnut while looking at the empty holes where the old heating system was sitting. Behind the intake grill we found an electrical outlet, still live and coated with dust. It had not been disconnected, just left where it was and covered over with the grill. I often wondered why there was no plug on that wall, now I know. I am amazed that the dirt did not short circuit it over the years.

During every repair job to this house the phrase, "I don't know why they did it this way when they installed it," is said at least once. I know that everything is about the budget and it costs more to do it right. So my new chestnut is, "If you don't have the money to do it right, how will you ever be able to afford to rebuild it when it falls down or burns up."

Wish they could all be show biz blogs, but life does get in the way of my stage world from time to time.

As you were,
Jay

2 comments:

Dave Robison said...

Life off the stage is as interesting as life on the stage sometimes.

Never feel like you have to hold back on day to day activities. Your blog is you...onstage or off

Roomie said...

Mandy and I hope that the installation is done quickly and correctly so that you get cooled down soon before the summer heat is upon you...we are walking in the early am because we are in the 90's in the afternoon already....Love the "gems of wisdom" whether they be your life in L.A. or on the stage happenings....Love you...
Carry on,
B&P