Wednesday, May 13, 2009

One for the Road

I find myself in Victoria, British Columbia today. The Victoria International airport is smaller than the Burbank Bob Hope airport and not nearly as busy. The ticket counter for Horizon Air was closed for about an hour while the only agent on duty went to lunch. That is acceptable since there are only two flights a day on that carrier.

I'll be flying to Seattle in a couple of hours which is a 35 minute international flight via prop plane.

I will not get to see Victoria more than the time spent at the airport but I have been here years before. That time was a little more memorable.

I was in Vancouver to do the Alan Thicke Show. It was at the time the "Tonight Show of Canada." The schedule called for a day off after we taped the show and before we flew back home. Barbara Eden was also a guest on the show and we hit it off at the taping. Barbara is a very funny and charming lady. She was traveling with a friend and I was with Sandi. We all decided to rent a car and drive to Victoria for High Tea at the Empress hotel. It sounded like something American celebrities should do in Canada.

It is 40 minutes by ferry to get to Victoria and because Barbara will always be television's Jeanie we were all soon guests of the Captain for a tour of the bridge.

We made a quick stop at Buchart Gardens to smell the roses and laughed our way through a very formal Tea service at the Empress Hotel.

I guess after that experience it's only right this trip to Victoria would be so mundane and forgettable. It doesn't matter, I will always be able to "dream of Jeanie" and Victoria.
As you were,
Jay
www.monkeyjoke.com

No comments: