Thursday, November 13, 2008


My kids are all grown and I miss telling them bedtime stories. Here is one of my boy's favorite tales. I am not sure if it was really their favorite, or the only one I can remember. Either way they heard it a lot and I am sure they will be telling it to their kids some day. I love these nursery tales that have a moral theme, and a lesson of principle that is metaphorically presented in such a wonderful way. They just don't write them
like this anymore.

The Tale of the Snake and the Fox
Once upon a time a snake came up to a fox and said,
"It seems to me we have met."
"I too, "said the Fox, "it seems to me that we have met somewhere before."
"Then give me some money."
"A Fox doesn't give money," replied the tricky animal and in order to escape, he jumped into
a riven of chicken honey and strawberries.

But the snake was quicker and with a well chosen blow of the fist he struck the Fox in the middle of the forehead, which broke into a thousand pieces as he cried,
"NO, NO, a thousand times No. I'm not your daughter".

Now good night and sleep well, my little kiddies.

Apologies to Eugene and his Soprano, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, the Fireman and "genera of the absurd."

As it always is,
Jay


2 comments:

Roomie said...

"Zip...." right over my head. I may not be a writer of bedtime stories, but I'm not stupid....but I totally missed this one from start to finish. Mandy even read it several times and asked, "What is Uncle Jay trying to tell us?" You may, if you so desire, bring me up to speed on the meaning of this story...or perhaps not....it may be a lost cause.....I imagine everyone else who reads it will, no doubt, understand it......LOL
Carry on (zip)
TB&Pup

Bob Conrad said...

Very interesting. was that the Brothers Grim?