Thursday, October 09, 2008

Pointing to the Moon is not the Moon
Thanks for the comments and encouragement on producing a Two and Only DVD. While it is a business and financial decision, at its core it is an artistic decision. When one contemplates art the game changes radically. Ultimately I think I want to make good artistic decisions. Money comes and goes but art has its own value.

There is a Buddhist saying that a finger pointing at the moon is not the moon. In the same context a DVD of a show is not the show. The fact that it looks "live" or has the feeling of a live show only means it has employed a higher degree of trickery. Having spent countless hours in and editing bay as a producer I can tell you that the live audience shots seen on film are almost never the actual reactions of the moment. When you need a cut away you find a shot of the audience that seems to fit that moment. It could be a shot of the audience from the day before.

A movie is meant to be a movie, it is all illusion, it never happened. Directors film things out of order and use special effects to create things that are not there when the actors say their lines. A film creates a manufactured energy. A camera is a microscope and that perspective on life changes the perception.

A live show is not a film. Live theatre must create its own energy, live as it happens. I am talking about the life of the show as much as the perception of the audience. A show has a life of its own and every time it is performed it is different. Every aspect of a show is impacted by the experience of the immediate environment, and every part of that experience is the life of the show. You can cut off a rose bud and seal it in plastic and it might look like a rose in the garden, but you will forever be looking at a dead rose. Same with a show.

I guess I ultimately would rather grow a rose that is beautifully alive. If there is not an audience there to see it, it does not change the power of that moment nor the life of the flower.

I know... Jeff Dunham has released DVD's. I think that proves my point. They are merchandise that feeds the Jeff machine, like little Walter dolls, to be sold after the concert. Jeff is very successful and good for him, but that is to Art as the a yellow smiley face is to the Mona Lisa.

That's just a difference in perception I guess. Most artists die poor, but every one dies and no one takes their check book. As the stock market falls and the money market freezes, the idea of art for its own sake now seems civilized and invaluable.

As you were,
Jay

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Jay,
on one hand I absolutely understand your position. On the other though, people like me who happen to live in far away places (like for example Prague, Czech republic is) and will never have the chance to see you perform live (while seeing the amazing teasers for your show), would really appreciate to be able to have at least this little taste captured on the funny silver disc. Even though, I absolutely understand it's just a finger pointing at the moon... but it's still better than having no idea of the moon at all. Maybe, just maybe it's worth to think about it from this point of view too... But anyway, I'll be your fan with or without the dvd, watching my favorite Soap episodes and VentEvent with your "Haunted house" routine, reading this blog and hoping one day the show will come to town nearby.
Good luck and take care
Jindra
Prague

Dave Robison said...

Hi Jay,

I see your point. And I feel like you were directing this post to me.

We are at different junctures in our careers. I still desire "business" and "fame" and yeah, probably merchandising, too.

I can remember about 25 years(geez, has it been that long) ago doing a newspaper interview and citing "Jay Johnson" as one of my influences; and I suppose I was being selfish to want to see a DVD from you.

But, having a Buddhist wife, I can understand your example and I believe if it is art and "the show" that you desire then that opportunity will present itself in its own time, and we as fans will have to wait for the moment along with you; without a DVD.

Dave

Roomie said...

We are at a bit of a loss for words....don't know what I think about this one. I certainly love you LIVE...but if that's not going to ever happen again....SAD WORLD IF THAT SHOULD HAPPEN....then I should have bought the DVD in Dallas last December....of course I can watch portions of your show...
Carry on,
TB&P

Kenny Croes said...

Jay,
The very act of ventriloquism is an illusion, so creating a DVD filled with illusion is still art. Seeing a show live and seeing a show on DVD are both a series of frozen moments strung together. The live show is preserved in memory. The DVD show is preserved on plastic. Both are revisited. Both are perceived differently upon each re-visitation. Edit the crap out of your DVD so that the effect of the illusion is enhanced. Share the illusion with more than those who found their way into your theatres. And sell lots of 'em. Make the point that beautiful art can also make beautiful bank accounts. It may keep aspiring young ventrilquists from becoming something else just for money.