Monday, August 04, 2008

A lot of my friends and my wife have birthdays around this same time of the summer. It works out that way almost every year. A disproportionate number of us were born during the sign of Cancer the Crab. We usually try to celebrate together at least once.

This year we went to a funky Mexican Restaurant in Burbank called Viva. The food is okay, But there is a well kept secret in the back room that drew us there. Every Wednesday the Glen Roberts Big Band rehearses. They take over the back room and play charts. There is no cover charge, first come first seated. It is really great music and great to hear this style of music rather than Mariachi with your Margaritas.

The band is made of up of mostly retired musicians and old horn players. One guy, maybe 87 years old, wears an oxygen tank while he plays the trombone. They stop at 9:00pm on the button to accommodate the last bus that goes to the retirement home. It is great music and heart warming to see these guys still dedicated to their music. They are taking August off and so this was there last "rehearsal". They will be back in September, "assuming we are all still alive -" Remarked one of the horn players.

A lady in her 80's named Adel struck up a conversation with us. (The "youngsters" in the crowd) She identified herself as a the band"groupie". She said, "The band doesn't go anywhere any more, but if they did I would follow them." She left the restaurant with a 79 year old sax player and I am sure she arrive there alone.

Any way here is a quick video of their playing. There is no way to really appreciate it unless you are there to see it live. Although Sandi's hair covers the shot I tried to get of most of our friends at the table, the video ends on the smiling face of my BFF Lynn. I have known Lynn longer than my wife. I think we are celebrating 43 years of friendship this year. How blessed I am to have such friends.

What a great night. What a great time, and what a thrill to be thought of as the youngsters.



As you were,
Jay

1 comment:

Roomie said...

Are you perturbed with us here in the hills or what? We keep sending you messages and get nothing back?
This is a wonderful video and some great BIG BAND tunes. Reminds me of when I was a kid!!! Looks like Tom and Honey Bun. LOL
Carry on,
TAOTB&TAOP