Tuesday, May 18, 2010

CPA's
Normally you don't think of accountants as funny.  However, the business manager I have been with for decades is not the normal.  She is funny and smart and a good friend with impecible tastes.  When we moved to LA years ago one of the singers I worked with at the "Horn" said to me, "Some day when you are a big star my sister will be your business manager. "  Two years later I got SOAP and signed with a business management firm. I was assigned to the only female partner in the firm.  Turned out to be Barbara's sister Birdie just like she predicted. I'm still waiting for the "big star" part to come true.
Birdie and her husband Ted formed their own company after working for the best show biz firms in town.  I was able to steer my friends like Harry Anderson and writer/director Randall Wallace to her as they were making their fortunes and they have been part of the firm for years as well.  I'm glad to be part of the team.
I was at Birdie and Ted's house one evening with Harry  and we were sitting at their fabulous bar/den which had recently been beautifully reconstructed. I said to Harry, "I think they  call this the Jay Johnson bar, because my fees paid for it."  Harry said, "Are you kidding? I pay five time what you do... it should be the Harry Anderson bar."  I said, "True you pay her a lot more than me.... but who put you two together? That's why it is called the Jay Johnson bar."
Ted developed a case of Bell's palsy this week.  It is a treatable condition that causes half the face to become immobile.  The prognosis is good. It only lasts a few weeks and there will be a complete recovery.  However, the doctors said that the virus causing it is linked to Herpes.
Birdie said to me "when the doctor told Ted he had herpes.... well you should have seen the look on the other side of his face."
As you were,
Jay

3 comments:

Bob Conrad said...

That's Funny!

Tedtoons said...

That drawing really spoke to me! (unfortunately, it told me to burn things.)

Roomie said...

You and Harry are quite the duo and Ted and Birdie must be fabulous folks....hope he is recovering...imagine....herpes....
Carry on,
B&P