Sunday, June 29, 2008

Subject: Signs

Photo of the day: This phrase is written above the pie menu upstair of the Porcupine Pub at the corner of Charring Cross Road and Great New Port Street, half a block from the theatre. It says "The Heart of Theatre Land".  It makes me feel good to think that my theatre is half a block from the Heart of London Theatre Land. 

On the Piccadilly underground there is another sign that says, "there are beggars and buskers operating on this train, do not encourage their presence here by supporting them." 

I think I was well into my 30's before I learned what a busker is. It was the same moment I found out the Canadian government considers me one.

As I was entering Canadan immigration to work years ago they asked me the category of my job. I chose ventriloquist that day. To no one's amazement ventriloquist was not on the list of jobs for Canada. The closest they could come to an official description was "busker." They told me that it was a term loosely associated with street performers

Here in London the term is used a lot. I guess I don't mind being linked to street performers, some of my best friends are "buskers". I take offense at being linked to "beggar". I don't consider a performer of any kind a beggar even if their venue is a street corner.  At least the street performer is working.  Working at what he does even if their venue is the street. Actually I have seen plenty of buskers here in London but not many "beggars". By this time in New York I developed a personal relationship with several "panhandlers" on my way to the theatre. 

On the streets of Chicago there was a beggar/panhandler who had a sign that said, "Need money for cheap wine." I stopped and asked, "Money for cheap wine?" He said, "Yes, and I promise not to use it on food or shelter." I gave him three dollars. 

The best beggar/panhandler/busker I ever saw was on the streets of Vancouver when I was doing Broken Badges.  There was a man standing next to an open violin case where coins could be tossed.  His arms were crossed and he looked very pissed off.  There was a sign on the violin case that said, "Please Help me. Someone Stole my Violin." It was a brilliant ploy, I gave him five dollars. 

There are signs all over London advertising "All Bob's Women". That's the Italian show which had its last performance today at the Arts Theatre.  I sneaked into the theatre for the last half hour of the show.  (Andrew I am trying to be kind). It was unwatchable.  The talent was good, but the dialogue, the music, the set, the plot, the sound, the lighting and the direction was completely wrong.  It looked like a high school production that wasn't ready yet. Apparently the Italians believe,  "What is a bad idea without poor execution." 
 
My son Brandon is in town. The opening night is a couple of days away, tomorrow is my first day off since I arrived. I am very tired and ready for a rest. Eleanor A. made a comment on last nights blog that indicates the Seagull is a perfect mascot for The Two and Only, Thanks El.
As you were,
Jay

2 comments:

Bob Conrad said...

Much luck and success in London, caught you at the Helen Hayes and you were great. I am glad to see you writing on the blog again.
Best;
Bob Conrad

Dan said...

Hi Jay

Saw your show this afternoon at the Arts Theatre - really enjoyed it! Being told about the history of ventriloquism and your own personal story was great Sunday afternoon entertainment, and tears of laughter were rolling down my face with Darwin. I haven't cried with laughter for a long time!

Interesting to read your observations about us Londoners. I guess we are pretty reserved a lot of the time - minimal whooping here. The worst thing for a Brit is being the only one in the audience who laughs out loud! That's why you might get the odd quieter patch. But I think the show went down really well and people were highly impressed - I know I was left wanting to see just one more puppet.

I hope the show does well for you. London's theatreland is tough (look at Gone With The Wind - 79 performances!) but this kind of stuff deserves an audience for being fresh and different.

By the way, there are plenty of beggars around at tube entrances, but generally they're not a nuisance. Buskers are a different thing - the ones on the tube and in Covent Garden are all licensed, officially supported and usually very talented.

All the best

Dan