Monday, April 14, 2008

Several times a week people will say to me, "Tell me when your show is playing where I can come to see it?" The truth is I love to perform this show for anyone, especially friends. Some of my oldest friends worked with SQUEAKY years ago and are delighted to see him again.

Early on in the tour I would call or email friends to let them know when I was in their area, but no more. I've pretty much stopped doing that, because they rarely come when I let them know. The friends who do come to see my show are generally the ones who surprise me, not the other way around. They usually let me know they are coming, rather than me telling them I am going to be performing.

For example, I have a friend I've known since my first year of Six Flags shows. She lived in LA when I moved out here and we were close then, but she moved away years ago. We don't get to see each other very much now, but I let her know about my show both times it was in LA. I also let her know when it was on Broadway. She never came but every time I would run into her she would say, "When can I see your show?"

Our last stop was Albuquerque. This happens to be where my friend currently lives. I wrote her to tell her about the show at Pope Joy Hall in her city on April 11th. I didn't hear from her until the day before the performance. She emailed me to ask,"When are you coming to New Mexico?". I wrote back and said, "I am getting on a plane today, and the show is tomorrow, Arpil 11 at the Pope Joy Hall. Can't wait to see you." As it turned out I was not the only one looking forward to seeing her. David Wylie another Six Flags friend who knew her from the same year was coming to the Albuquerque show. He was a surprise to her.

She never showed up, nor sent a message until the day after the show. She forgot it was Friday but wanted to know, "when is your show playing where I can come to see it?" I wish that was a rare occurrence but it happens a lot. I now figure if you are supposed to see my show, you will. I perform it. Other than that I really don't have much control over who comes to see it.

To sum up: Two cousins and their families, and eight people from Abernathy came to the show in Albuquerque. One cousin drove all the way from Roswell. I didn't know they were coming and it was a great joy to see them. Thanks DJ, Cherri, Max, Kathy, Horton and families for making the effort. I would rather be excited and surprised to see my friends and relatives, than disappointed when they don't show up when invited.

My friend David lives in Arkansas and has seen the show three times, Broadway, Dallas and Albuquerque. He tells me he is even going to surprise me in London. I will be excited when that happens. Wylie attended the shows post mortem and was unanimously voted a member of the TAO Teddy Bears. Congratulations David.

The Pope Joy was a special performance. The Wiz was back to call the show. Her last time for awhile. Union rules keep me from taking my crew across the Pond. It was just Lori, John and me. The Atlantic Theatre unholy three. The original pirates of the production. It recalled the fun and excitement of the off Broadway days.

As your were,
Jay

2 comments:

Marie said...

Dead Jay,

I saw your show at the Majestic Theatre in Dallas, Tx, with the RHS theatre magnet, and absolutly LOVED it! We appreciated you talking to use afterwards. thank you for the enjoyable and hysterical performance!

Marie

Roomie said...

To the "Unholy Three"
Wow, what a show that was in NM at Popejoy Hall, even if I was always wearing the same clothes!!! Yes, I have seen the fabulous TAO 3 times and would love to see it more...."could it be...in London?"
What a wonderful thing it was to meet "The Wiz" and John for the first time. You guys are so talented and I want to tell you how much I appreciate your taking care of "my Roomie" all this time. So I am now a TAO "Teddy Bear?" I am honored and would like to know what "rights and privileges" come with that award? If it was granted "post mortem, was I already dead? And, yes, CK, did you really hear from her after, as though she didn't know when it happened, and that you and I were looking forward to seeing her....her loss I suppose. I may have to write something else because I can't remember what else was in the 2 latest blogs that need my immediate response.
AGAIN, kudos to you, Lori and John....and Jay....and my dear friend since 1966....Squeaky....you have certainly held up bettern than I.
Love to you all,
Roomie(1)and Mandy(the opera and the TAO pup) approval STILL pending.