Thursday, January 24, 2008

I am waiting for my plane to Newark, so I'll take a moment to catch up on my blogging. Writing this with my thumbs on a blackberry in the middle of LAX is tricky so go easy on the critique.



We started this year's tour in Crystal Lake, a bucolic part of Chicago. It was a matinee and evening performance on a hit and run schedule. Pretty much an eighteen hour day at the theatre. We set up, focused, ran some sound, did a cue to cue, set for the matinee. It was back to back performances, then pack up and move on. John Ivy took a picture of the three person crew standing at the stage door the morning we got there. The next day on the drive to the airport we looked at the picture and remarked how long ago it seemed.



The show actually works well scaled down set wise. I do miss the scoop carpet, but that is not an easy load in. The story and all the characters play.



Now we are off to a couple of theaters in New Jersey and a swing through Indiana. I have no confidence in the agents booking this tour. I haven't from the start. It's not my call, yet, but when it is, I'll find an agency that understands this show a little better and where it needs to be booked.



It feels. A lot like the Broadway producers are done with it. My show that is. They won the ultimate Broadway prize, the Tony, and there is really nothing more in it for them. They can make some money, but not enough to get their attention. This is a small show with a single cast and single company.



This is not sour grapes. I just have a different agenda. I want to perform this show in as many theaters and for as many people as I can for as long as I can.



Hopefully we are just getting started.



As you were,

Jay

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I don't like the agents booking your tour either. I keep suggesting that you come to the Detroit area. I am so disappointed that we are not on one of your stops. I hope you add more shows. I am seeing Gallagher this Saturday at the Ford Community and Performing Arts Center in Dearborn Michigan. I have seen a few acts there. Peter Noone for one. I think it would be perfect for your show. I don't see why you have no say. Another thing that would be nice, is if you had your blog set up so you could answer comments or questions. Not all but just a few. What do you think?????Thanks, Sue

John said...

Dear Jay,

My wife and I are looking forward to your show tonight in Princeton. We didn't get a chance to see you perform in NYC, but are thrilled your show stops in Princeton for the evening. Looking forward to seeing you and your friends tonight. Best, John

Anonymous said...

Roomie,
Glad to hear from you on the blog...its been too long. Hope all goes well in NJ and on the swing back to L.A. It's truly a wonderful show, and it SHOULD play to everyone in the world.
DW&M (the opera pup)

Linda said...

wish I could be there.

will be sending all the best to you and the guys. I don't need to tell you to have an awesome show, I know it will be.

Anonymous said...

Awesome show in princeton! we came to see you in nyc and went down to princeton from nyc last night. was wonderful and so glad you got a standing ovation because you deserve it!!

i was sitting on the left side in the 3rd row, next to a lady who was in hysterics and kept hitting me in all her laughter haha! my husband and i had so much fun once again!

you are always so personable when we meet you in person as well. always humble and polite and funny. thank you :) (you signed my little magnet of the show).

thank you for a wonderful show mr. johnson! we hope everyone gets to see this show - its brillant!

and congrats on the tony!!!
-missy and nate

Unknown said...

Glad we saw your show at SOPAC. We're the four empty seats in the front row, because we went to NJPAC by mistake (cost us $13 for parking there, only to find out we were at the wrong theater. Tried to apologize to you after the show but your crew was very protective.
We roared. Can't wait to see you again. However, Indiana is a bit out of our way.
Elliot and Bobbi

John Soltes said...

Hey Jay!

Saw your show last night at SOPAC, and it was great. The audience ate it up. I was lucky enough to see it on Broadway, and it still packs a great comedic and emotional punch. I hope you come by New Jersey again. If you're looking for other places to perform, the BergenPAC in Englewood, N.J. is an intimate theater similar to SOPAC. What did you think of SOPAC's size? Just right, or too small?

John in NJ

Anonymous said...

Jay, I saw you last night at SOPAC. You were incredible. I saw you twice on Broadway and was thrilled to see you again. You deserved the standing ovation. Please come back to New Jersey soon. You are developing a following. Unfortunately it's impossible to describe your show adequately - it's so unique and so brilliant!