Monday, June 25, 2007

In my show I reference the “big time personal manager” I was briefly signed with when I moved to Los Angeles. Before the end of the first season of SOAP we parted ways. I guess you could say I fired him, but how can you fire someone who is not working for you in the first place. The day I went into the office to say I was leaving, he said, in a very condescending and arrogant way - “No client who ever left me did any better than when we were together.” That was literally decades ago and I had forgotten all about that until this morning.

Two days ago when Sandi and I returned home we got to actually watch the Tony Awards Show via Tivo. It wasn’t a dream and I didn’t imagine it… Eddie Izzard really did hand me a TONY on national television. I have to say, that is definitely something “better” than ever happened to me while I was with the ex-manager. “Nah, Nah, Nah…” reverberates in my mind right now. I wouldn’t know how to reach that ex-manager, nor would I try and I don’t think he was watching the Tony’s… it is just one of the unforeseen emotions that Antoinette Perry’s trophy kindles. There are many more just as unexpected.

Yesterday my friend Sherry mentioned the word validation. That really is it. With a Tony award I feel validated. Paul, Murphy and I did not set out to produce a Tony winning show. We just wanted to do a theatrical production, for the love of doing it. We only wanted to do the best job we could. It was not easy and it took many turns, which could have been reason to give up. Now to be one of the elite shows awarded a Tony is validation of the journey indeed.

Why artists need validation is another subject. The work should be the reward itself, but that is a lonely proposition. If actors did not care about outside opinions why do they allow an audience to see them? I guess we all need a pat on the back for a job done well even if we loved the work. Maybe sometimes it is just to prove to the doubter we could do it.

The manager’s name is Richard O. Linke. Nah, Nah Nah.
As you were,
Jay

6 comments:

Linda said...

"for the love of doing it."

That is exactly the best reason to do anything. The fact your experience was validated was the ice cream on top!!!

Anonymous said...

LINKE, RICHARD O.
75-5585 MAMALAHOA HWY.
HOLUALOA, HI 96725

'a'ole, 'a'ole, 'a'ole....
(Hawaiian translation: nah, nah, nah...)

Unknown said...

Hello Mr. Johnson,

I am writing on behalf of the Stage Managers' Association. We'd like to send you an official thank you for recognizing your stage manager in your speech at the Tony's. To what address may I send that message? Thanks very much.

~Margie Price, Chair SMA
margiepriceaea@gmail.com

Christopher Bligh said...

Hi Jay,

I still consider, even when it was off Broadway, your show to be such a rewarding and touching experience, and you and your bunch were very nice to me afterwards as well when even then there was small talk of going to Broadway (and they were well represented a few Sundays ago). What a difference a few years makes!!! I'm very proud you won the Tony and many of my friends as well as I still continue to shower the praise of your great show and when it gets to tour, there are other friends as well as myself to share in the experience and for me to relive it.

Best of everything

Sincerely,
Christopher Bligh :)

Anonymous said...

Jay,
I remember your act with Squeaky in the summer of 1972 in the Crystal Palace at Astroworld in Houston, with Sandi singng and dancing in the show. In fact, I saw it several hundred times, as I played the trumpet in the Crystal Palace band that accompanied your show.
I clearly remember you being a real class act on stage and off -- and how you treated all the cast and musicians alike with courtesy, humor and respect, even a high school senior like me.
I am so proud of your success since then on TV and Broadway, absoutely delighted about your Tony award, and am very happy that you and Sandi continued your marriage over the past 35 years. All the best,

Don Moffit
Crystal Palace Band 1972
don.moffit@sbcglobal.net

Anonymous said...

My mom called me when the award was given to you - she saw it on tv. The last time I saw you & Sandi was at a night club in Houston. I have thoroughly checked out & enjoyed your website. I have always thought you were amazing! You deserve the credit given by the Tony and I sincerely hope I catch the show when you go on the road or I will come to it. I wish I had know you were on Broadway, so that I could have seen you there. Much love to you and Sandi,

friend, dance student, etc.

Lisa Baker (leb8@msn.com) I would love to hear from you...