Thursday, May 24, 2007

I attended the Tony luncheon this afternoon. It was really wonderful. A day when everyone was a winner and there was no press or publicists to spin the event. Everyone, especially me was just glad to be a part of it. They announced everyone’s name and the category they were up for and presented them with the official nominee certificate. Mine will be on my wall in Los Angeles in less than 24 hours.

I happened to sit next to Julie White who is nominated for “Little Dog Laughed.” I reminded her that when we first met she was only wearing a towel at the Gypsy of the Year competition. Ah, show business.

At the end of the event I found myself waiting at the elevator with Swoozie Kurtz. Swoozie is a friend from LA and we shared an elevator at the Tony interviews last week. She accused me of being a stalker. Could be.

The "30 Rock" elevator stopped two floors later and in walks Boyd Gaines, Frank Langella, Christopher Plummer and Liev Schreiber.

I jokingly said, “If this elevator falls it will be a great boost to the career of Brian F. O’Byrne,” who was the only one missing in the Best Actor in a Play competition. I think Christopher Plummer smiled but it was a very tough room to work.


Recently I got this note from my friend Joe Beck who is the electrician at the Helen Hayes. Joe was one of the backstage players of “Name the Monkey song” when we did “The Two and Only.”
Here is what Joe had to say:

I have an interesting story for you. We're teching a
new show at the Hayes this week. There's a spotlight
operator sitting in the back of the mezz and, since
it's tech, he's all by himself. He came down for a 10
minute break looking spooked. He asked if there's any
ghosts in the theatre. I said, "Did you see something
near the SR Box Boom?" His answer was yes. I told
him how you'd seen the same ghost in the same spot. He
described it as a grayish apparition.


I wrote about that ghost in the blog when it happened. Those who believed, believed and those who didn’t thought I was just an imaginative, superstitious actor. I think my credibility as a ghost hunter is now justified.
As you were,
Jay

6 comments:

Linda said...

"I think my credibility as a ghost hunter is now justified."

Who ya gonna call.....

Anonymous said...

Ghost Busters!

Anonymous said...

Jay

Saw your show twice with our two boys! THRILLED you are nominated!

We will be pulling for you on Tony Night!

And, we can't wait for the tour.....we'll be watching to see what city (or cities) we can get to!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE TONY WIN!!!

VITA DVDs said...

Hi Jay,

Congratulations!!!!!

One question: Was the Michael Andreas you mentioned tonight on the Tony's originally from North Carolina? If he was, I knew him when he lived in LA.

Thanks,
Wayne

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the Tony. I have tried to follow your career and I am so happy for you and your family. I am retired from 26 years in public education, the last 11 as an elementary principal. I hope to come to NY and see your show.
Libby Goodwin Horton (Bob's little sister)