Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Picture of the day: What an American Tony winner's dressing room looks like when he plays the West End in London. -


One comment on the dressing room. It is quaint and I did straighten it up after I took this picture. It is small but functional. When I moved in there was a "make shift" clothes rack that went from floor to ceiling in the middle of the room. It was a terrible construction of two 2X4's with pipes suspended through holes, but could not be moved with out major tools. The door to the dressing room wouldn't open all the way because of this obstacle. I asked them the first day if they could maybe get rid of it while my show was running since I did not need the extra wardrobe space. Nothing was ever done. I was kind of blown off and thought I would have to live with it for the run.

Over the course of the last 24 hours two things happened, actually three. First: the "other" show at this theatre opened to scathing reviews. One reviewer said, "Thank God Tony winner Jay Johnson:Two and Only is also at this theatre to save its reputation." Second: our show did our first preview tonight to a really wonderfully expressive audience. It was the first time the theater staff had seen our show. Before I got off stage the make shift wardrobe was gone. There is nothing like the smell of a hit that will change the landlord's attitude.

It is much to early to compare American audiences to British. However, based on tonight's reaction I can make some immediate assumptions. The British audience listens more and reacts at the end rather than all the way through the show. This is not to say they were not responsive, they were. I just felt like they were listening with much more intensity. At one point they were listening so quietly I thought something was wrong.

They are also quicker to respond with applause when they are impressed, than an American audience. I think I was interrupted ten time with applause during Bob's routine. They got every nuance and went crazy for Darwin. At the end of the show there was an explosion of applause that took me by surprise. It really was amazing. When I returned for my second curtain call there was a man who came from the back of the house to the front of the stage simply to shake my hand. He was very dear and I gave him the Spaulding eyes I used in the show.

There were some problems with the sound and a couple of the lighting cues were late, but this it only the second time the crew has seen the show all the way through. It is the first time they have seen it with and audience. I think they are very capable, but I have been spoiled with the Wiz and John Ivy.

There is a controversy in the New York theater world over whether you count the previews or only count the shows after the official opening. The traditionalist would say that the first show will be July 2nd opening night. I figure a show is a show and you count performances from day one. For me this was day one show number one. I couldn't be more pleased. It is exciting. This theatre has a unique energy and if we can capture it every night this run will be incredible.

I am tired and there is much more work to be done. But if it all ends tomorrow I can say that I performed in the West End of London on June 25, 2008.
As you were,
Jay

3 comments:

Linda said...

So happy to hear you had your first British audience. They will all be entranced as we were all those months ago.

Anonymous said...

wow. you and the kids have played london's west end.
if show one was that positive ( i agree, a show is a show) you can count on it only getting better. and being the savior of the the thr's reputation can only improve your stay. keep writing, i LOVE feeling involved.xxeleanor

Roomie said...

R,
WAY TO GO.....now clean up that dressing room...it looks like a "pig sty"(?)!!!! Well, I suppose with the "clothes rack" (lame excuse) gone, it now looks like a STAR'S dressing room...which you are...sounds like it to me me, especially if the guys are getting SOs of their own during the show.
Carry on,
TAOTB & TAOPup