Monday, August 29, 2011

Yogi Zen

Every morning on board ship,as I look at the time, the theme from the YOGI BEAR SHOW runs through my mind. For those who don't remember the Hanna Barbera cartoons it went like this, at least the part that repeats itself to me, "He may sleep too noon but before it's dark, he'll have every picnic basket that's in Jellystone Park...."
At home I rarely sleep past eight AM but with none of my stuff here to entertain me I find it better to sleep in. It helps pass the time between shows. While others may have their favorite activities on board.... Mine is performing my show. It doesn't happen often enough on these gigs. As I have said before they actually pay me for down time...that's the work, doing the show is the joy.
I have still not connected to the ship internet and so far have not been successful in finding free wifi on shore. So I slowly thumb type this on my blackberry. It can connect through Verizon on my phone plan. But I have to say surfing the internet and typing blogs are not pleasurable on this format.
However, I have been writing more interesting stuff on my IPAD and will Post publish when the opportunity allows.
But back to Yogi Bear. He sounded a little like Phil Silvers and with his soft spoken pal Boo Boo the bear they tried to out wit Mr. Ranger to pilfer picnic baskets from Jellystone Park. Boo Boo was always cautious about causing trouble while Yogi seemed to have no integrity when it came to Picnic Baskets.
I guess I see myself and Bob as Yogi and Boo Boo in reverse. Bob being the devious one and me the more cautious character. I'm not sure I have a good picnic basket reference. However, I do relate to the final line in the song.
"Yogi has it better than a millionaire, just because he's smarter than the average bear." I'm not sure I am smarter but I do feel luckier than the average bear.
I think I will head up to the buffet and pilfer some picnic baskets. Are you with me Boo Boo Boy?
As you were,
Jay
www.monkeyjoke.com

2 comments:

Monica said...

Oh Jay have a safe trip and hopefully you can connect to the internet soon! :)

P. Grecian said...

I love what you say about doing the show. That's why folks in show business never retire. What would we do for fun in retirement? We'd do what we're doing, anyway.