Saturday, August 28, 2010

My time

This is the time I like the ship the best. I talked about it earlier. When one set of passengers has left and the others have nor boarded. The ship is empty. No masses of teaming overweight aging flesh trying to elbow their way through the buffet. Just me and my ship. Great feeling of ownership. I like the solemn strolling along the newly scrutinized decks wondering what the next set of audiences will be like.
Last week everyone was disappointed in the general reactions, especially with the early crowd. The resident comic described them as stupid. When they don't get the jokes what else can it be but ignorance? I don't see is as so simple. Weather, show times, average age and so many other factors contribute to the reactions. That is why I love live performing, you can never figure them out till you are up there and even then it is a calculated guess. You can't judge just on reactions. You just have to be ready to do the best job you can with the conditions you are given. Then it is up to the people watching to interpret what it is all about. You just hang your art on the wall and wait to see. Sure it is more fun if they go crazy with laughter. But we are not paid to have a good time, even if some times we do, we are paid to help "them" have a good time.
Still I hope these new people are smarter than the last. They didn't laugh at my jokes those ignorant bastards.
As you were,
Jay
www.monkeyjoke.com

1 comment:

Bob Conrad said...

Great picture. You get to see some very interesting things, I saw the inside of a couple dozen libraries this summer. And it sure is great when the audience gets it. Steve Allen used to say, "I'm too hip for the crowd".