Thursday, April 01, 2010

Personally?
Tuesday night after one of the gentlemen sang his song on American Idol, Simon Cowell said :
 "The problem I have with you right now is, as a person and I hope you don't take this personally but you come off as very boring"....
How is someone supposed to take a statement like that except personally?  He says, "As a person..." Since it is addressed to his person, it is by definition personal.  It is now part of our language.  As the rude factor goes up in society it is okay to attack someone as long as you say, "I hope you won't take this personally?"
At one time I was a devoted closet watcher of American Idol.  It's not something I would share with a lot of people.  Six years ago it became email fodder for a group of my writer friends.  It was a three person game coming up with the quickest laugh line after a Tuesday American Idol show.  Email makes it an exacting sport since each entry is time stamped.  Unfortunately one member of our group died suddenly.  The two of us tried to keep it going but it was never the same.  My interest in American Idol waned as the writer's game was ultimately abandoned. 
 Now I just tune in occasionally but don't really know the contestants that well. This Tuesday I tuned in to see the changes.  I think the show has run its course.  The talent pool has been mined and the contestants are not as good this year as in years past.  Four judges is too many, and although I am a fan of Ellen DeGeneres she really doesn't add anything to the show.  I would suspect with Simon leaving this year could be the last for the franchise. You wonder what Simon Cowell will be qualified to do after his stint on American Idol.  I suggest he go to work for the California Department of Motor Vehicles... his sensitivity and personality would fit right in there.
As you were,
Jay

5 comments:

Roomie said...

Here, Here!!!!! As usual, you hit the nail right on the head all the way around.....I've never seen/heard such a lack of talent as there is this season....not even going to mention the judges....and the thing with simon and Ryan is getting out of hand...
Carry on,
B&P

Roomie said...

Oh.....BORING!!!!!

Unknown said...

Jay... love the blog!
came over here because I am working on advertising for your March 12, 2011 show in Vineland, (southern) NJ. Yeah I know thats over a year away but the early bird gets the worm.
Caught your show in NYC this Jan. and can't wait to have you here - your rock!!!
Judith

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bob Conrad said...

Personally, I have always found Simon extremely rude, but that seems to be the only talent he has. By the way , did a show at the Vineland Public Library last summer, nice place good audience.