Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Wrong Audience...again...
In New York as I am coming out of my hotel room a housekeeping supervisor with a clip board is finishing the inspection of a room next door. She is very pleasant as we both head to the elevator. She says to me, with business like efficiency, "How did you find your room?"

I say, "Oh, I just turned right at the hallway and there it was on the left." She looked at me with an expression I have come to know all too well when I ply my comic talents in social situations. It was the blank stare of disconnect.

"So, there were enough towels?" she said, in the same business like manner. I knew she didn't get it. Not wanting to make the same mistake I did with the desk clerk on the ship trying to explain Polaroid cameras.... I decided to come clean.

I wait until we are in the elevator and the courtesy silence settles in to say... "You know that was my attempt at a joke... You said how did you find your room and I said I found it right there around the corner on the left.... (Pause) ... how did I *find* my room... (beat)."

In a monotone voice and a dead-pan-Buster Keaton-esque-look she says, "Oh...I see... (thinking it over... but not laughing)... funny."

Without a further word, she got off the elevator at the next floor, . I continued my decent measured in more ways than just floors. By the time I reach the bottom, physically and emotionally, I have applied the comics golden rule in these situations. I convince myself it is not the fault of the joke or the way it was delivered..... it was the wrong audience.

As you were,
Jay

4 comments:

Bob Conrad said...

Steve Allen used to say, I'm too hip for the crowd".

Anonymous said...

In cases like that, I always imagine a studio audience.
...
That way, when your target's not looking, you wink knowingly at the studio audience.

-Philip G.

Roomie said...

R,
Mandy couldn't say what she and I wanted to say about your Tuesday post since the blog seems to have another life of its own, so we will save it for your eyes/ears only.....you're such a "social butterfly" that we thought we ought to tell you that I will be in NYC from 4/15-25 just in case you should drop in....it would be nice to see you or better still for you to get to see me....now I'll go and read today's blog or I will lose this post....
Carry on,
D&M

Roomie said...

Wrong audience, indeed.....and we have seen worse, wouldn't you agree?
Carry on,
B&P