Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Sandi looked at my new headline banner and said, "The World is a stage? Looks more like the world is a planet." Instead of the quote being, "The world is a stage and everyone in it a player...."it  should in reality be,  "The world is a stage and everyone in it an art CRITIC."
Do Birds retain publishing rights?
The birds have been singing intensely and almost constantly this last week.  I don't know one bird call from another but there is one fledgling that sings a familiar tune. It makes me smile every time I hear it.  It's not a song that has a title.  I'm not sure it is even a song, perhaps more along the lines of a melodic chant.  Without the benefit of audio it is difficult to explain it but here goes.  It is the three note riff that people chant when egging someone on. As in: "Go Rick-ie... Go Rick-ie... Go Rick-ie ..Go Rick-ie".

I tried to work it out on the piano as far as steps of the scale.  First note "Go",  second note is one and a half steps down: "Rick" and third note: "ie" is one full step higher than "Rick" and a half step lower than "Go".  I just read that back and now even *I* am confused.  I guess it is one of those things where "you have to be there."

I worked with a singer at the Horn years ago named Brian Richards.  He wrote some really good songs.  I think of one of his lyrics often, especially when I hear a song bird.
"Bird sings cause he wants to sing, he doesn't get paid to sing, he just sings... the way I sing for you."
 A writer writes because he has to write....doesn't always get paid to write... he just writes... the way I write for you.
As you were,
Jay

3 comments:

Philip Grecian said...

Absolutely right (or write). I'm a playwright by trade...and if I'm not writing a play, I'm writing in a journal or writing a speech or writing a letter...or writing to you.

It is, as the man says, a curse and a blessing.

And a way of life.
Go, J.J.; go, J.J....

Roomie said...

I thought you said you worked as a "singer" early on....hummmmm....what did you sing? Go John-son or something like that, and you are really strange when it comes to the subject of bird, their songs and whether or not they retain the rights to their melodies...OF COURSE THEY DO!!!!....Duh!!!
Carry on,
d&m

Roomie said...

Oh, and BTW, Mandy and I totally agree with Sandi and the new format....
Carry on...