Monday, February 01, 2010

Talk Shows
Here is an idea to improve the quality of late night Talk Shows. How about paying more attention to the guests than the host? Instead of paying a host millions of dollars to carry a show, why don't they just book more entertaining people to perform on the show.

I am old enough to remember Ed Sullivan. He was no comic or even a pleasant entertainer. He looked very much like a talking cadaver that they propped up to fill the space between the acts. I couldn't see that he had any discernible skills except that he had and eye for talent. But I would never miss the show because I got to see great performers. He included jugglers, magicians, circus acts, Opera singers and yes even several ventriloquists were regulars.

I am tired of the parade of authors and actors that are only there to promote the sale of their books or movies. One of David Letterman's best weeks, a couple of years ago, was ventriloquist week. That opinion is based not on the fact that I was a part of it, the ratings were really good. As it turned out Jeff Dunham and I were the only ones of the group with anything to promote other than our acts. It was just entertainment not part of a promotional tour.

When studios send an actor or publishers send an author on a promo tour they do any show that will put them on the air, and any magazine that will give them space. They say the same things about the same movie and show the same clips. You see the same questions asked by different hosts, local and national with the same stock actor answers.

Johnny Carson used to have guests that were just great guests with nothing to promote. Groucho Marx, Jack Benny, George Burns, Jimmy Stewart to name a few. They used to book talk shows like they were trying to entertain the audience not just sell the next movie. When was the last time you saw a celebrity on a talk show who wasn't pushing some new project? There is a great wealth of variety acts and entertainers that are great but don't have a movie to promote. When was the last time anybody had Jonathan Winters on their show just because he is a fascinating guy?

The reason? The current stock of talk show hosts can't carry on a conversation with an actor or entertainer without 20 questions prepared by the movie studio publicist. Here is a shout out to the network suits, the talk show producers and all the "late night funny guys" trying to jockey for a late night rating. Book some performers on the show, not just stand up comedians. Keep the comedians but how about a really funny magician, or plate spinner, ventriloquist or some of the great acts you can only see now on YouTube. There is a wealth of talent out there waiting for a the call and the chance.

I don't care who's the host if it's a really great show. It seems pretty simple to me... but what do I know... I just like to be entertained.

As you were,
Jay

3 comments:

Bob Conrad said...

Here,here, Jay. When i first heard that Leno was going to 10 pm with a variety format I was trilled. Finally something for me to watch on TV. But, it wasn't variety, it wasn't even a talk show, it was a 20 minute monologe, and a lot of the same dumb bits every night. Now that he failed, the networks won't try variety for another 20 years. Variety didn't fail, Leno and his dumb bits failed. I would love to see some entertainment on TV. Other than when the PBS station is asking for money.

Roomie said...

R,
You couldn't have said it better, once again....I always remember when Bev Sills was on Carson and they had such a good time that she hosted for him several times....now would that happen today? I don't think so, but you and I are available....you Carson and I McMahon and Mandy....Mandy...
Carry on,
B&P

Neale Bacon said...

Jay,

Thank you for saying what needed to be said. I miss Ed Sullivan or The Hollywood Palace or even Carol Burnett.

I remember when there was ENTERTAINMENT on these shows.