Monday, October 26, 2009

Gettysburg Victory
I am coming back on a high from the Gettysburg Majestic Theatre. Beautiful theatre, great audience and the historic town of Gettysburg is vibrant. Wish I could have stayed a lot longer and entertained more audiences, they were smart and responsive. Thank you Jeffery Gable for the chance to come and experience your theatre.

The stress of doing a hit and run "one nighter" is well... stressful. You get there, set up, focus lights, work the sound, rehearse it a couple of times, take a break, do the show, and then break it all down and pack it up. I even found myself sewing some clips onto a microphone cord so I could hide it in my hair. The capsule and cord I had with me that I usually use was not a match for the Majestic system. I didn't even have time to share a drink with my fellow vent Tom who came to the show. (Again, thanks for coming Tom, it was great to touch base with you for even a brief moment.) I guess that is the deal when you are a "one man show".

I think the show was sold out. If I'm not working the door, I usually don't look at the count. It wasn't a Jeff Dunham arena show, but I am happy to draw the kind of audience that seems to come to see me.

I guess there are ways to attract huge crowds at the sacrifice of your own internal artistic compass. That has never been a very satisfying compromise for my personal esteem. The lowest common denominator has never been appealing. I want to try and raise the level of this oft misunderstood art form, not suppress it even more. So I guess I will continue to feed my own artistic soul and hope that a select few come to the feast as well. Bon Appetit
As you were,
Jay

3 comments:

Bob Conrad said...

Congrats Jay. And I agree Jeff was a lot funnier when he was cleaner. His old show with Peanut was great! No sour grapes here, or on your part. I just think he was funnier and did better vent before the "Dead terorist" act.

Tom Crowl said...

It was a full house and a lot of fun. It was a shame you couldn't experience the enthusiasm and compliments as people were exiting. Your mastery of the art inspires and your performances always raise the bar. Considering your schedule, thank you for even taking the time to say hello. We'll grab the drink another time.

Roomie said...

R,
Mandy and I are glad that you are back and had a wonderful experience in Gettysburg...it is a beautiful place...and how can any audience not love your show...it is you and what you are...a talented, consummate artisan...and we just want to "DITTO" everything that Bob and Tom have said and add that we love you and miss you very much..."GOOBER!"
Carry on,
B&P