Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Trying to reach Neptune
This morning I will catch a plane that eventually connects me with a ship docked at Curacao half a world away from Los Angeles.   I know from many such experiences that once I'm aboard, my Internet access will be limited and expensive.  I think the rate is still 75 cents a minute with a connection that is as slow as a 57k modem.  I remember once running up a charge of fifteen dollars on a ship before I even got to log onto the dashboard of my blog.  The ship's antenna now allows Verizon customers to make cell calls (at a very expensive roaming charge) but the cell phone texting and Internet features are disabled.  They make you have to use the slow, expensive computers at the ships Internet CafĂ© for that.

Contrary to what is shown in the television ads, for me a cruise becomes quickly boring. I used to be able to bring guests aboard, but tight economics have cut that perk way back. Sandi can still come with me, but right now she is working "The Big Bang Theory" for CBS.  

So, eventually even a 30 dollar session on one of the ships computers seems like a good deal, if it will help the time pass more quickly. All of this means I probably won't have a chance to blog much during the coming week.  If we dock where I can catch a cell tower, off ship, for my BlackBerry then I can "thumb" in a blog, but I never know when that might happen.  So there may be a few days of" blog black out".  Medium Rare will still be able to publish the Astrological Forecasts on Saturday to there will be a little activity.  

On the upside there are usually some funny things that happen during these cruises and I will have more stuff to write about when I get the chance.  Until then, Ahoy, Avast, Weigh Anchor and watch your Keel.
As you were,
Jay

1 comment:

Dave Robison said...

The Big Bang Theory is my newest favorite show. I plan Monday nights around watching it. Tell Sandi she has a fan, simply because she's connected to it.